Upcoming season

George

Has anyone applied to hunt any of the state run sites or public hunting areas? This will be my dogs first hunting season hoping to get out a lot this year and get him on birds. Definitely counting the days November cant get here fast enough. Anyone have any outlook on bird numbers this year?

George,
I rotate between Chain, SS and Des Plaines for the state run places. I usually go twice a week. Haven't hunted wild birds in IL in many years. Nowhere to go. I'm counting down the days.

I've got to get on the public land applications. I usually hit green river a time or two. There's a section they don't release pheasants in so the wild birds tend to hang out there a bit. Tough getting to them though. Usually running through cattails and busting through ice to get close to the buggers.

As far as bird numbers go, it's going to be okay where higher ground/habitat exists. Last week I took a look at some areas on the southern part of the county. A lot of the habitat is still under water or very wet with many of those areas not having any higher ground/habitat near by. I didn't even bother to look for brood/chick signs in those areas. It's been too wet for too long. Hopefully other parts of the state have better news.

Ive got a day at Green River so far. So hard for me to plan out that far right now. Never been there before so Im sure it will be a learning experience. I live a mile from Chain so I roll out of bed a couple times late season if the weather is cold enough etc.

My Boys and I have drawn two dates in December at Public sites one at Perdueville and the other at Gifford. Curious to see what will be left. We have one more year to do the Youth hunt at Moraine View state park so that will be second weekend Sunday. Those are always fun to do, but after this year we are done with those.

Ive got a day at Green River so far. So hard for me to plan out that far right now. Never been there before so Im sure it will be a learning experience. I live a mile from Chain so I roll out of bed a couple times late season if the weather is cold enough etc.

I can show you where to go if you'd like. Text me when you're going. I should be able to grab a no-show tag. Also, I pulled a permit for a PHA. The date falls on a Wednesday so I'm not sure I'll make it down there but if so you can tag along with your pooch. Sandprairie may come along too. If you would like I'll text or PM you the date.

Nick

Back