Union Ridge CA

chriswhite22

So I recently hunted Union Ridge CA up near Kirksville. It was my first time up there in probably 10 years and in the areas that used to hold pheasant definitely don't hold them now as the landscape has changed dramatically. Have any of my fellow hunters run into pheasant up there? To be honest I didn't hunt there long so my opinion could be a little skewed. I might give another run this year, but just curious if any of you have had any luck up there hunting pheasant. Happy hunting!

Haven't hunted in at least 10 years. Last time I did with a buddy of mine, we found 2-3 coveys and several pheasants.

Pheasants are few and far between up there anymore and quail are scattered and scarce. I don’t live far from there and it’s very disappointing with the cover and feed they have but no birds, wish they would make it a focus area for quail.

Yeah, I don't want to sound like a baby, but MDC I feel (willing to be proven wrong) care very little about pheasant and have only recently made some effort for quail. I just don't get it. I hope I'm wrong though.

I go up there and do whistle counts in the fall and it disheartening at how few of birds you hear and the ones I have heard are very small groups with the exception of one covey that is on private ground next to the area most days. I never shoot quail or pheasants up there, but if you catch it at the right time you can find several woodcock during migration but it’s short lived.

Back