Unintended Consequences of being a Pheasant Hunter

John Singer

I have two observations of negative consequences of my pheasant hunting.

I have started running my dog on cool mornings these past two weeks.

1. A couple of nights ago, I put my cell phone on the charger when I went to bed. When I got up in the morning, it had not charged.

It turns out that grass/weed residue and seeds clogged up the charging port. Several times during the season, I have to clean it out using fine wire welding tip cleaners.

2. My lawn grows more weeds than my neighbors. My truck, my dog, and my clothes/ boots bring home weed seeds from every hunt.

Last edited:

1. A couple of nights ago, I put my cell phones on the charger when I went to bed. When I got up in the morning, it had not charged.

It turns out that grass/weed residue and seeds clogged up the charging port. Several times during the season, I have to clean it out using fine wire welding tip cleaners.

2. My lawn grows more weeds than my neighbors. My truck, my dog, and my clothes/ boots bring home weed seeds from every hunt.
The things we endure in order to chase pretty birdies. 😆

1. A couple of nights ago, I put my cell phone on the charger when I went to bed. When I got up in the morning, it had not charged.

Zippered pockets on my hunting pants solved the problem for me. Legs get coated with dust. It's a bitch out there John.
Let's relax with a brew and solve those "negative consequences"

Old habits die hard. I refuse to carry my phone when hunting and usually fishing. Maybe not smart and my hunting partner gets ticked sometimes when we get separated but I just can't abide the intrusion while pursuing game. I have taken it in the deer stand but make damn sure the ringer is off.

I went to a flat charger that I lay my phone on. Eliminates the need to put anything in the port....which is normally the first thing to break on my phones...so now they last longer.

Back