Unexpected new family member

LoneRooster

I thought I had it all planned out.. My lab Dixie who is now nearly 1 and 1/2 years old had her first hunting season under her belt last year as a pup..exceeded every expectation I could of set for her and I have been so excited to get her back out for her 2nd "rookie" year as a full grown adult..

Little did I know that on Saturday I would stumble upon a littler of soon to be abandoned pups and end up bringing one home.

The owners had an accidental litter..mom was a lab..dad was weimeraner... I could go on about spaying and neutering if you are not a pro breeder but I wont...they were giving them away, that day only, or else they were going over the rainbow...

What can I say..I am sucker for dogs.. they bring me more joy then pain (most of the time) so I just had to bring atleast one home to try and save.

Of course the plan was we will bring it home and find it a good home..well after 2 nights it looks like the little guy is sticking around.

So now here I am...starting from scratch again..with a pointer..or a flusher..or maybe just a couch dog..

Atleast it will be fun to see if I can get the new guy into birds like I did my lab. One thing I do know, I won't have the same expectations for him as I did for Dixie.

Anyways, It should be a fun journey..he seems to be fitting in well judging by the pictures and regardless to whether or not he joins Dixie in the field chasing birds he will certainly have a nice life.

He shall be called Willie...and the adventures of the Weimerlabrador begin now.

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

Just figured I would post an update on how the mystery pup is coming along. Willie is now 16 Weeks old. He is a bit behind on his training than my lab Dixie was at his age but that is my fault and less his. All I did was Dixie was train her when I got her so she would be reayd to go when she hit 6 months for Pheasant Opener last year. Willie's hunting training has taken a bit of a back seat to my actual hunting this year but he is still coming along well. He is housebroken, recalls well, sits and stays and we are working, ever so slowly, on heel. He is retrieving within 10-20 yards and he is pouncing and bringing back pheasant wings in a regular basis while firing off the cap gun. I have started bringing him on my hunting trips and letting him out once Dixie and I are dun for the day to let him romp in the the thick stuff and watch her work some cover. He is coming along well. I think he will put a few birds in my game bag for me one day. Here is a picture of him with dixie from a few weeks ago.
picture.php

You are now, officially, a member of a hunting "pack." :)

It's going to be fun, mostly. Nice that you brought the pup home. I presume there was a call to SWMBO prior to the trip home?

Back