Uncommon bird dogs

Dog in my profile is a Braque Francais type Pyrenees. Basically the smaller of the two types of French Pointers. Have also had a Weimaraner and Vizsla. Last week I hunted with a guy who had a Weim. Haven't don't that in almost 30 years. His was a big blue about 120 lbs.

Have also hunted with red setters. I've always like Gordons, but never had one. Currently have a Brittany. My dogs have gotten progressively smaller as I have gotten older and more wise.

I've seen some of the less-common breeds mentioned in the thread in action a few times - most notably the GLP and SM. I'd own one but can't. get. past. the. tail. Too weird - I feel the same about most setters though.
We have a pocket of both GLP ad SM aficionados locally. These folks are serious bird hunters who really appreciate the mental stability of their dogs and I can see why - they are extremely calm and beautiful - and excellent retrievers. Talk about an on-off switch. From a hunting perspective, if I were to nit-pick I'd say their points are a little underwhelming and reportedly slower to develop than some dogs, but that's a small sample size. Their livability factor is way up there though - great pets, calm, quiet....birdy....versatile.....jeez.... maybe I could live with that tail after all....

I'd like to hear from folks who've owned a good GSP from reputable lines, and then owned a BF - I'd love a GSP in a smaller, more biddable package so the BF has my attention. Good GSPs these days seems to go for $1000 - $2500, so I wonder what a good BF goes for - my guess is more. And then, I wonder if by going with a BF one is taking a gamble on just having a smaller, potentially more mediocre version of a GSP - (which can be a fine dog for most folks BTW). No disrespect intended - would love to learn more. Thanks

We ran across a couple of guys in Illinois years ago hunting with a Jack Russell. They even had a bird in the bag. we stopped and talked with them. Said he was a tough little SOB who would plow through the ditches and flush. I still think that's great.

I read an article about a trainer/preserve operator, who had a jack Russel. Said he would walk down the chain gang and quickly put any dog in their place if unruly. No real training, he just watched the whole process and decided he could hunt and point as good as the rest. Said a lot of customers would ask for him to hunt with.

I've had farm dogs follow along a hunt. Couple terriers and a German Shepard. The Shepard got up a covey of quail.

Was turkey hunting one fall in Wapello County. Had a random springer come out of woods and start hunting with us. Got up a few turkeys lol

I've seen some of the less-common breeds mentioned in the thread in action a few times - most notably the GLP and SM. I'd own one but can't. get. past. the. tail. Too weird
See I'm the opposite, I can't get passed dogs without a tail. Dogs should have tails. Is my personal preference but everyone has theirs.

See I'm the opposite, I can't get passed dogs without a tail. Dogs should have tails. Is my personal preference but everyone has theirs.
Exactly. A dog should have a long tail.I saw a guy hunting with a beagle near Lewistown. He looked like a newby,Newby, in orange, new suburban, yeah.

Thinking back over the years and some of breed of dogs that have joined our group while hunting. These were the farm dogs that felt the need to accompany us: Doberman, German Shepard, various terriers, two ponies, Canin Corso and mixed breed mutts. All were just distractions to our hunting dogs and eventually found their way home. None of them contributed to a bird in the bag.

I have posted on here before about "Cocoa" a mixed breed farm dog. Probably part lab or Chesapeake. Was a great retriever but you had to be on your toes as he would throw the bird at you as he ran past. Chasing and usually catching Cottontails.(dinner)

Recall was non existent , sure come cocoa come still echoes somewhere.

Exactly. A dog should have a long tail.I saw a guy hunting with a beagle near Lewistown. He looked like a newby,Newby, in orange, new suburban, yeah.
My French Pointer had a tail like a beagle. Loved it!
Not too long to knock stuff around in the house, but showy enough to look regal.

My Brittany has a stump. Hard to get used to.

I could live with an EP tail or a very tight setter tail, but nothing that is too moppy SM's and the like are too much for me. Labs are fine. A tail on a Brittany looks awful to my eye - looks like a dust mop, but whatev - to each their own.

Back