Uh, guys...bird, over here...right here!

chadsbritt

Well I was out this past weekend and was just getting ready to hunt a pivot corner with beautiful swichgrass and planted shelterbelts. My cousin had dropped three of us off and was going to take the truck to the other side and block. We always stop short of the area we're going to hunt in hopes of sneaking up on any unsuspecting birds. We started walking to the corner when I hear my cousin say, "guys, your dogs on point." I did notice him stop out of the corner of my eye, but thought he was only lifting his leg. As I turned around and walked back towards him, I noticed he was locked on point as hard as any dog could be. As I got closer, I wondered if a bird was buried under the snow. We were right next to the road, and there wasn't much cover; only a couple small clumps of switchgrass. Finally, as I was a couple yards away, a hen busted out from behind the switchgrass. I couldn't believe it. We walked right past her. Gauge, my Brittany, held great. Even when we had ignored him. She sure was lucky she didn't have that white ring around her neck.

Back