Twin Cities Taxidermist Recommendation

grossklw

I’ve killed 170 pheasants over my golden and I’ve been patiently waiting for a late season WI rooster that wasn’t shot up, was handled gently by the dog, had memorable dog work, and nice late season colors (long tail feathers help too). Not sure the exact length of the tail but I have a 23.5” in the jar and it’s got that beat by at least 2”. Tonight we killed him, complete with a beautiful blind retrieve in the thick cattails at 60 or so yards. I told my wife I’m getting one bird mounted for each of my dogs and this is the one for Lambeau.

Anyone got a really good bird taxidermist recommendation in the east metro or western WI? If not I can bring it to SD when I come in January but I’m a hair nervous getting it out there in good condition. I’m not concerned in the least on price. I want it to look good, bad pheasant mounts are absolutely terrible.

Attachments

• F772849D-DA34-42A8-A913-9FB4DB0796DF.jpeg
    F772849D-DA34-42A8-A913-9FB4DB0796DF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 472E3E8D-84CE-4CDB-A5A2-91088F839ED2.jpeg
    472E3E8D-84CE-4CDB-A5A2-91088F839ED2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • BF7368AC-A0EA-48D5-8F6C-589A021C89EA.jpeg
    BF7368AC-A0EA-48D5-8F6C-589A021C89EA.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
Not much help on a taxidermist, but I know what you went through looking for a nice bird to mount. When I got an idea for a multiple bird mount, I went all season and in the last 2 weeks got 2 nice ones. For me I wanted older birds with nice spurs, tail feathers were what ever they were. If yours are close to 25" those are waaay long ones! A year after the first 2, I got the 3rd one last season. Still waiting for the taxidermist to get to them, he is now telling me after the deer seasons end he will be on the birds...I hope so! I hope it turns-out great for you!

I’m in SE MN and have mine with a taxidermist in Chatfield. He was about a 1yr wait on birds last I talked with him. I had a heck of a time finding a taxidermist taking birds in the first place. Most just want deer it seems like.

Not much help on a taxidermist, but I know what you went through looking for a nice bird to mount. When I got an idea for a multiple bird mount, I went all season and in the last 2 weeks got 2 nice ones. For me I wanted older birds with nice spurs, tail feathers were what ever they were. If yours are close to 25" those are waaay long ones! A year after the first 2, I got the 3rd one last season. Still waiting for the taxidermist to get to them, he is now telling me after the deer seasons end he will be on the birds...I hope so! I hope it turns-out great for you!
I think I found a local guy that only does birds after talking to a few people.

I’ve been after this bird for years lol. I’ve killed a few that would’ve fit the bill but they’re either shot or in one case it would’ve been perfect but the dog ripped out all tail feathers chasing down a cripple.

This guy doesn’t have much for spurs, but he had everything else so I’m thinking I can survive without the daggers given his freakishly long tail and nice late season colors.

Back