Turkey Story

BritChaser

My hunting buddy and I were out at zero dark thirty on opening day in western Kansas. We hunted the same place we have hunted for over 15 years. It's a great place for turkey. Lots of cottonwoods along a creek and nearby grain fields for feed. Kind of secluded too. All good. In years past we've seen 140 turkeys in this flock. This year we saw 12. I guess nature waxes and wanes.

We put out our decoys and settled in the brush for the wait. We began calling when they started gobbling while still in the trees. Fly down started a bit before sunrise and by sunrise three toms and a harem of hens could be seen in a little patch of alfalfa 200 yards south of our set up.

We got lots of gobbles in response to our calls but the toms stayed with the harem. We kept calling, they kept gobbling for a half hour, and then the hens headed west, the toms following. We left our hide to scout where they had gone and, seeing none, went back to our hide and resumed calling. In a few minutes we spotted a lone tom who appeared to be heading out way.

Incoming!

The lone tom kept up a steady pace until he came to the dirt road between us where he paused behind a thin line of kochia. It was my buddy's shot and he was not a mouth caller so with his hands busy with his gun I took over calling. I called and the tom gobbled back. Then he came out from behind the kochia and stepped toward the decoys but stopped out of range. A familiar scenario. I called again and he strutted but did not move in. I waited, then called again, he strutted again, and then came in slowly toward the decoys. My buddy knocked him cuckoo.

Last edited:
Gotta love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for sharing your hunt and grats to both of you!
Did he have some size to him? Beard, spurs?

Gotta love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for sharing your hunt and grats to both of you!
Did he have some size to him? Beard, spurs?

Thank you! We figured it was a second-year bird; had a 6-inch beard and 3/4" spurs and weighed an estimated 22 lbs

UPDATE: this week we went back to where we were last week and I bagged a tom that was essentially a twin of the one my buddy bagged. They were feeding in corn stalks. Couldn't get any to come to the decoys so I crawled down the road cut to where I was about 60 yds from our hide, called, and got a curiosity seeker haha. Will be eating turkey soup today.

Last edited:
Years ago I was chasing a particular sly tom. Finally I got in close very early and set a deke out. I watched him fly down and start my way. As I called, a hen came in, hopped up on a stump and read me the riot act. I just knew I had him then. The hen walked off and he stood and stood and stood starring strait at me. He stood there so long that I began to think that someone snuck in and placed a decoy there! I was so tired of being froze in place that I had to move. I slowly slid a leg down and he turned and walked away. I looked at my watch, we were frozen in time almost an hour!
One other time I had the same tom in range 4 times and never got a shot. Once he kept a big tree between us, walked in, gobbled and walked off the same way!

My hunting buddy and I were out at zero dark thirty on opening day in western Kansas. We hunted the same place we have hunted for over 15 years. It's a great place for turkey. Lots of cottonwoods along a creek and nearby grain fields for feed. Kind of secluded too. All good. In years past we've seen 140 turkeys in this flock. This year we saw 12. I guess nature waxes and wanes.

We put out our decoys and settled in the brush for the wait. We began calling when they started gobbling while still in the trees. Fly down started a bit before sunrise and by sunrise three toms and a harem of hens could be seen in a little patch of alfalfa 200 yards south of our set up.

We got lots of gobbles in response to our calls but the toms stayed with the harem. We kept calling, they kept gobbling for a half hour, and then the hens headed west, the toms following. We left our hide to scout where they had gone and, seeing none, went back to our hide and resumed calling. In a few minutes we spotted a lone tom who appeared to be heading out way.

Incoming!

The lone tom kept up a steady pace until he came to the dirt road between us where he paused behind a thin skein of kochia. It was my buddy's shot and he was not a mouth caller so with his hands busy with his gun I took over calling. I called and the tom gobbled back. Then he came out from behind the kochia and stepped toward the decoys but stopped. A familiar scenario. I called again and he strutted but did not move in. I waited, then called again, he strutted again, and then came in slowly toward the decoys within range. My buddy knocked him cuckoo.

How far out in Western KS were you? My family has some land around Colby and I've never seen any turkeys out there but my dad checked some game cams out there a couple of weeks ago and we had a turkey grazing the front lawn in early April.

The only tree's in about 2 miles are the windbreak around our farm so I figured there were no Turkeys out there but I guess I was wrong.

Attachments

• DSCF0671.JPG
    DSCF0671.JPG
    867.4 KB · Views: 8
How far out in Western KS were you? My family has some land around Colby and I've never seen any turkeys out there but my dad checked some game cams out there a couple of weeks ago and we had a turkey grazing the front lawn in early April.

The only tree's in about 2 miles are the windbreak around our farm so I figured there were no Turkeys out there but I guess I was wrong.

We were a county and a half shy of Colby and near the South Fork. Lots of cottonwoods along the river and its creeks.

Last edited:
I was so tired of being froze in place that I had to move. I slowly slid a leg down and he turned and walked away. I looked at my watch, we were frozen in time almost an hour!

Been there! Now I stand by a red cedar that's my height that I can nestle into and have a camp stool behind me in case I need a break from standing. Standing helps when it's chilly too.

Last edited:
Back