Turkey Day hunt with son. Memories...

3car

Sooo I asked my boy if he wanted to walk a little this morning for pheasants. He said yes (of course) and immediately thought he can actually carry a gun to which I said lets wait on that. But I did grab my little 20 gauge to bring it with. I had some trap loads thinking he can shoot it a little after the hunt. So we get to a spot fairly close to town. We were there 10 minutes early. Enough time to get the shock collar on my lab and talk a bit. Well its kinda always a battle to get my two boys to get warm clothes on and this morning was no different. It was 20ish degrees this morning and a bit breezy. Well its 10am and we started walking. We made it 100 yards from the truck and flushed 6 hens. The dog is crazy birdy the entire way. Walking mostly kocia and cattails on crep. I turn around to see if my boy saw those birds flush thinking he was excited. Nope, turn around and hes shaking. Yep, once again not dressed warm enough. I guess I learned the hard way too. I asked him if he wanted to warm up in the truck to which he immediately said yes. He went to the truck and I continued on the walk for a bit. Flushed 15 more birds and shot the only rooster that held. Lab pointed him and it was an easy shot. Went back to the truck kinda hoping he would be a little excited to see the rooster and hoping he wanted to shoot the gun as well. Once again, Nope! I got within 25 yards of the truck and I can see him crying inside the pickup. Thinking the worse I kinda trotted towards the truck and asked him whats wrong. Hes holding his and and just screaming that his hand is cut. I finally get him to show me the cut and its maybe a a quarter inch long and not bleeding at all. Looks like a paper cut if that. He cut it on a pencil..... lol He wanted to go home and of course we did. Sooo maybe I can make it out in an hour or so. updates to come. I am fairly excited to see if he likes shooting that shotgun a few times but, baby steps right.

Well I got the Turkey in the Oven, made some caramels with the 6 yr old and went out about 1:30. Unfortunately the boy wasn't having it. Maybe tomorrow he will want to go out. But I walked the same CREP and kicked up about 8 birds. 3 roosters maybe and only 1 in range. Home at 2:30 ish. Got him and went home. Its latte time now. Have a great turkey day!

Back