Trucks loaded

Fitfarms

All packed up all we have to do is load dogs and we are South Dakota bound. My 12 year old son is making his first trip with us this year. I don't think he slept much last night, that's ok he has a 16 hour truck ride to catch up on sleep. Hope we get into some birds for him!!

That is amazing! I can't wait till I can take my son on the SoDak trip just like how I go with my dad (incidentally in 2 days!).

Nice work gents! Looking forward to taking my girls in a few years. Congrats on the birds and forever memories!

On a side note, so glad my uncle took me hunting when I was a kid, turned me on to a lifetime of pursuit. Lost him in a car accident years ago...I've tried to take as many kids as I can to pay it forward.

Good stuff, don't think I wanna tangle with ole Grandpa, he looks salty.

It sure appears that Mason and the dogs had a good time.:thumbsup:

Great posts; Rancho- that was hilarious! Thanks for the belly laugh
Laura and I are hunting around Huron, staying at Super 8

Would be happy to buy anyone that posts on this site a beer & sandwich at the Scoreboard, or share a cold one......Lee

Just back from hunting Huron area. Hottest stretch of weather I've hunted pheasants in 35 years chasing those sleugh chickens! A few observations;
Bird numbers at least as good as last year; did not hunt dogs during the hottest stretch of the day, and made sure they remained comfortable inside the topper covered back of the truck. When we did hunt them, we made sure they cooled down sufficiently before loading them; don't underestimate the danger of pushing your dog(s) in this weather; we saw a 3 to 1 rooster to hen ratio; good for the moment, but concerned for the future; normally we hit the cattails hard, but with this hot weather, found birds in lighter cover; birds seemed to hold better than normal, perhaps weather related as well. We had more than normal close flushes throughout our trip, which makes me think the hot weather influenced the birds behavior. We took an extended lunch break, good for the dogs, good for us. It was extremely dry. Amazing, when you consider all the places that flooded 5-6 years ago, places we used to hunt entirely covered in water. Some of those areas dry again. I did see some WPA's planted in crops, which in my view was very sad; more habitat removed; not sure if this will continue, or is a "planned" event and will go back to habitat. The future of SD pheasant hunting is dependent on habitat, and many of the best WIA's we used to hunt are in crops. We don't see the large numbers of birds anymore, but still good numbers and good hunting. Coming to South Dakota is something we truly enjoy.

Good trip

All in all we had a good trip. There are birds around but you have to work for them on public ground. Way to hot for the dogs but despite the conditions they found birds and put them up in range. My son loved his first trip to SD to hunt wild birds. He's already buying shells for next year trying to convince my wife to let him miss school again for a return trip. Hope she gives in again next year!!!

All in all we had a good trip. There are birds around but you have to work for them on public ground. Way to hot for the dogs but despite the conditions they found birds and put them up in range. My son loved his first trip to SD to hunt wild birds. He's already buying shells for next year trying to convince my wife to let him miss school again for a return trip. Hope she gives in again next year!!!

Glad to hear you and your son had a good time. I leave tomorrow and my 13 year old daughter so wants to go with me but not on this one. Already planning Thanksgiving next year in Iowa for her first out of state bird hunt!

Back