Truck Bed / Camping Van / Hunting Rig Set-Ups

jackrabbit

What does everyone do for a hunting set up? Here's my current set up, but I'm looking for ideas on what to add... I've got a drawer system that I built - super handy for keeping all my gear always loaded and ready to go for quick 1 hour hunts after work at home, or keeping everything organized on multi day trips to South Dakota. One thing I'd like to add is a power source in the back - fan for when it's hot, boot dryer, maybe a crockpot for a warm meal at the end of the day, heater, etc. Unfortunately I'm not too smart with that, so going to do some research into how much power all that would take and where to get the power from - tying into the wiring in the back? Adding a second battery? Some way of not draining the main battery. IMG_0704.jpg

Do you have the blue prints for your drawer system. I would love a decked system, just too expensive for something I think I can build.

Mine is pretty simple. Stall mat a couple packing blankets mattress and sleeping bag. I’ve got a buddy heater that has a stove. Cooking stuffs in a milk crate. A dewalt fan I’ve used on the dog a couple of times. I’d like to add a loft maybe out of a tailgate net. A car jump start pack with usb and maybe a compressor. And a cheap short throw projector I could watch a ball game on the back of the cab with every once in a while.
Be nice to figure out a way to get the kennels up and out of the way and over the wheel wells so they don’t end up out in the mud at night but not sure that’s doable

Do you have the blue prints for your drawer system. I would love a decked system, just too expensive for something I think I can build.
Theres a million plans and videos on the net for drawer systems. I know because Ive watched them all, just too lazy to upgrade my current set up. It works ok..

Yeah not sure if you could run anything with a ton of draw. Unless you ran 2 batteries together to make a 24 volt system with an inverter (if it can even be done via an inverter on 24V) but not sure the amps you'd need and what you'd have. Plus, myself, I'd be afraid some short would happen and I'd burn my truck down while I'm out in the field.

There are some smaller crockpots out there, almost more like warmers. However, would there be some way of putting in a 2nd battery. Battery 1 is main car battery. Battery 2 is "camping/hunting" battery that charges via alternator when vehicle is on, runs on it's own when vehicle is off without drawing off the main battery so that you'd never wake up in the morning with a truck that won't start?

This table might help give you some ideas on how long things will run on a 12 volt inverter.

Table – 12 volt 100Ah battery run times with various AC loads

100Ah deep-cycle lead-acid battery & pure sine wave inverter - 50% discharge, inverter losses 5%
Home ApplianceLoad (in watts)Will run how long? (hours)
Standard Air purifier25 watts22.8 hours
Small Air Conditioner70 (average per hour)7.6
Ceiling Fan609.5
Coffee Machine8000.71
Kitchen Freezer2522.8
Electric Shaver1538
Fluorescent Strip3019
Refrigerator1204.75
Deep Freezer4014
Laptop1005.7
Pedestal Fan609.5
Tablet Charging Transformer1057
Vacuum Cleaner5001.14
Internet Router1057
Water Filter/Cooler807.12
Exercise Treadmill3001.9

There is a hot wire on your trailer plug, you should be able to find an inline t-harness that hooks into one of the harness connections behind the bumper so you don’t have to plug into the trailer receptacle or cut your existing wiring to charge a second battery

Back