Trip Report - Hugoton area

jdunn01

Hey all thanks for the reponse to my previous questions. Just got back last night from a 3 1/2 day Pheasant hunt to the Hugoton area. I was originally going to stay in Liberal but it was to big of a city for my liking so we continued on to Hugoton. (pop 3,400).
Stayed at the B&B Hotel since they allowed dogs. ($48.00/night) Owner wasn't to friendly but this might be due to cultural issues (indian, not native) Room was adequate but I hear if you can get one of the rooms on the north side they are in better condition.

It was just me and my year and 1/2 old Lab, Duke. This was his first pheasant hunt and he did outstanding! Since it was just the two of us we had to hunt small pockets and abandoned farmsteads. We had pretty good luck and limited out every day. Pretty much hunted between Liberal and Hugoton and all around Hugoton.

Met some great folks in the private club in Hugoton that gave me permission to hunt. It was probably easier since it was just me and the Duke and they let me bring him into the club at night and he is a very friendly dog. I think he thought he was part owner by the second evening:)

Some thing's to think about if you hunt around here:
1.) Number 4's, Number 4's. Knocked some down with 6's but some got away.:-(
2.) Dog boots if your dog will handle them. Lots of sand bur's
3.) You will need 4 wheel drive to get down some of the roads due to sand.
4.)Bring warm clothes. When the wind blows it is like being on the moon with nothing to break the wind.

Highlight was a double that Duke put up and retrieved!

Great post! Thanks for sharing. I'm really ready to get back out there now. Glad to hear you got into some birds in that area. I did't think we would hear any good reports from there this year.

Thanks KB. There was another group staying at the same hotel that had about 12-15 guys and god know's how many dogs. They were able to hunt the larger private corn stubble fields and were getting 40-50 birds a day using blockers. I got into several corners and put up 20-30 birds but they were to far away even hunting into the wind. Thus the 4's. Good luck if you go.

Back