Trimming supplies?

MJinMN

I have a springer, and need to get him shaved/trimmed for the summer months and hunting season. Can someone please give me some recommendations as to what gear I'll need to do it myself?

I use a pair of regular hair trimmers myself if this is your first time and his start early so you can take the time to calm him down as he may not like it very well my britts are so used to it they just lay there

Oster A-5 clippers with a #10 or #15 blade works well on my FBECS. Did mine a month ago. Go slow at first and let the dogs get used to the sound and feel of the clipper.

Lots 'o treats while doing it helps.:)

NB

I know there is the blade part of the clipper, and then the little plastic combs that you can attach as well. Do you just use the blade by itself, or do you use the combs too? Also, how close will a #10 or #15 blade cut the hair? I was told last weekend to shoot for about 3/8" as a good length.

Also, I looked at the A5, and it looks like it's specifically a clipper for animals, but also 3x or 4x the price of ones designed for humans. Any idea what the difference is in the product?

Last edited:
Back