Trespass Laws

wispringer

Just wondering what the laws are in SD. Can you access land that is not posted? I understand that if it is posted you can retreive you dog or game if you are unarmed. Also, section lines I believe are open to the public?

The one thing I can't get over is the lack of implied trespassing laws. Here in Wisconsin land owners don't have to post their property, everything is considered "posted". It sounds like if it's not posted, you can hunt it. I'm also assuming there is little unposted property in the SD pheasant range.

They don't talk about section lines in the handbook. A section is a square mile. According to the info I've read each section line is a public highway, unless it has expressly been vacated. What does it mean to vacate a section line?

Anyway, can someone describe exactly how you determine if you are on a section line? What you can and can't hunt?

One other quick question. Can you shoot coyotes out the truck window? Or do you have to get out of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance

The one thing I can't get over is the lack of implied trespassing laws. Here in Wisconsin land owners don't have to post their property, everything is considered "posted". It sounds like if it's not posted, you can hunt it. I'm also assuming there is little unposted property in the SD pheasant range.

They don't talk about section lines in the handbook. A section is a square mile. According to the info I've read each section line is a public highway, unless it has expressly been vacated. What does it mean to vacate a section line?

Anyway, can someone describe exactly how you determine if you are on a section line? What you can and can't hunt?

One other quick question. Can you shoot coyotes out the truck window? Or do you have to get out of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance

Land in SD does not have to be posted. You must have permission to hunt private land, posted or not. Usually a road that is vacated will have a "Road Closed" sign. If so that road is vacated so there isn't any ROW therefore cannot be hunted. You can shoot at a coyote from a truck window but you have to have permission from the landowner if the coyote is on private land.

Back