Trapping and using Ringneck Dove for training

primalphil

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not it was legal to trap and use ringnecks for training. My in-laws property has thousands of them around all the time and I figured if I could buy or build myself a trap and keep them I wouldn't have to worry about finding a supply or trying to find someone who sells homing pigeons to raise and keep. I figure since they're considered invasive and they are open season with no limit there wouldn't be any problem.

I asked a friend who is a game warden the same question this summer... It is illegal to posses live birds which are considered invasive species.:(

Well that sucks! I can run my pup in a field filled with them but I won't have any control of the birds flying that way. I guess I need to find someone who sells homers.

I don't know about the invasive species part, but it is certainly illegal to take game birds out of season.

Why not trap or net pigeons from under the nearest bridge? That would be much easier than trapping doves.

As far as I know the ringneck have no season, you can take as many as you want year round. The reason I was wanting to trap them instead of pigeons is becuz the dove are at my in-laws farm in the hordes taking the place of pigeons being the nucense.

primalphil - What state are you in? If by "ring neck" dove you mean the Eurasian Collared dove, then you may be correct, but it also varies by state.

In my state of Colorado, the Eurasian Collared dove was designated as an invasive species in 2014, so there is now year-round hunting and no bag or possession limits. This means that prior to 2014, there were limits on this bird (don't recall what those limits were since I never hunted them).

Not all states have gone to listing the EC dove as invasive, yet. So, you should check to be sure they are indeed formally listed as an invasive species in your state.

I'm in Colorado as well. I figured I'd ask in this section to get info from anyone who lives here. I do mean the Eurasian collard, I just figured since they are year round open season and no bag limit I could use em to train with. They'd be so easy to spock up on.

(I should have realized you are in Colorado)

The only question now is whether it is okay to live trap them. I looked through the on-line Colorado Small Game Brochure and didn't see that specific question addressed.

I would give the DOW a call just to be sure. They sometimes get pretty anal about methods of take.

Haha no worries Shinebone, for a second there you had me thinking I didn't post where I'd thought I wanted to! I'll have to call and ask afterall. Someone else mentioned grabbing pigeons under a bridge but I don't live in an area where that's as easily accessible as these dove are.

Difference between pigeons and Eurasians is that your regular city type pigeons are considered "feral/pests" and are not regulated by Parks and Wildlife....

Eurasians I guess have not gotten to that level, yet.....:eek::eek:

However I agree, I would want to use them as well for training....

Greg

There never has been a season on collared dove in Colorado. Legal to shoot them year-round and it has been for as long as I can remember.

Plus, they've been here forever...proof lies in their brief supporting role in Dances with Wolves...hahaha....:) :cheers:

Back