transporting a pheasant

Season opened here yesterday. Hunted this evening my son-in-law and next door neighbors.

My neighbor shot 2 today. It is supposed to get down in the low 40s tonight.

My neighbor's birds are under the cover of my barbecue grill. They will cool off nicely tonight. I will clean them in the morning.

I also soak them in salt water when I get home.
But not in buckets in a rental house basement. lol

could bucket soaking be prep for plucking?

I will just say that if you clean your birds the day you kill them then you haven't ever had as good as that bird can be on the table. It really is as simple as that. Same with any animal. You just need to age them. Eat a deer killed today versus an aged one. Its not even close. Same with beef. Eat a 28 day aged ribeye and tell me. Outstanding!

I clean mine at lunch and every evening of the hunt. Cooler full of ice, drain water off and re ice daily. I fill a bucket up with ice in the morning for the noon cleaning and let them slosh around in the ice water until I get back to the motel. Just the way my dad did it so I do it that way.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I already have been prone to hang/age most all my birds for 3-7 days depending on weather etc. Also as mentioned one that was hit hard with a gut shot will be cleaned the same day. My question for john or others that transport whole birds in a cooler in warmer temps, what is the best way to keep birds from getting soggy?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I already have been prone to hang/age most all my birds for 3-7 days depending on weather etc. Also as mentioned one that was hit hard with a gut shot will be cleaned the same day. My question for john or others that transport whole birds in a cooler in warmer temps, what is the best way to keep birds from getting soggy?

Put the ice, not the birds in plastic bags or use frozen water bottles/ half gallon milk jugs.

Back