training a new pup

marcwigg

I recently bought a GSP. He is almost 5 months old. I was wondering if anyone had some good tips i could use to to prepare him for the field next year. Such as wing training, or pointing methods. Any suggestions would be great. thanks!

Training Tips

One thing I did with my dog is put her through puppy obediance class. You learn how to get your dog onder control and are tought to make sure you are always in charge. It goes hand in hand with at home and the field. Having your dog in the house with you is always best as they pick up you're everyday language and a trust is built. Doing the typical fetch and retreive thing with a $5 dummy is real good also. When they bring it back to you act as though it is the greatest thing ever, they think that they have done something good and will then want to please you time and time again. Over all just spend a lot of time with them at a young age. It will help you for years down the road.

Let the dog be a pup..no hard training and pressure..simple obedience until he is a little more mature..socialize and exposure..

I started by taking the dog out with us hunting. She would follow, we got a bird down and worked her to the bird, then praised her. Put her in the carrier with the bird next to the carrier she knew what we wanted at following stops. Also worked with dummy in field with wings attached as well as a wing on a fishing pole to teach pointing and not allow her to bump birds. Scent on the dummy drag in field and then drop and walk around and the back to scent will teach her to start working scent. Biggest thing is that whoa and no are very close, needed to train the trainer to understand as to what the dog was thinking. Best thing in the world is seeing a point, flush and retrieve.

Wing on a string is for nothing but taking pictures of your young pup pointing..after pic..never use the wing on a string again, it will encourage site pointing..

get the dog into as much wild birds as you can..he will train himself for the most part..good luck :thumbsup:

Complete Agreement

get the dog into as much wild birds as you can..he will train himself for the most part..good luck :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I am by no means a great dog trainer as I am on my first hunting dog but I completly agree with Oggie. The more field exposure on live birds the better. That is all I did with my dog other than yard work and simple obedience training and he is running very good now. Not a pro but he holds point and can track a downed bird or running bird.

One thing I did with my dog is put her through puppy obediance class. You learn how to get your dog onder control and are tought to make sure you are always in charge. It goes hand in hand with at home and the field.

Basic obediance training is certainly a huge part of early training for any gundog, but I would be careful taking any pointer to a training "class" or "puppy school" for this training because one of the first things they are going to have you teach your dog to do is sit and a sitting dog is where they are going to have you start every other obediance command. And you never want to teach a pointer to sit. It encourages them to sit on point and makes whoa breaking next to impossible (since they will want to sit when you want them to whoa).

With a retriever or any waterdog obviously its no big deal since they are supposed to sit.

I agree 100% with Ryan77 And Iâ??ll Also add â??hereâ?� or â??Comeâ?� is the absolute first thing to teach any Gun Dog. You cannot take them off the lead until they learn this.

Let the pup be a pup. Would try and introduce birds to him, but keep it fun in the beginning. Don't pressure him.
I used pigeons with my pup as you can lock their wings. Mine wasn't overly interested but wasn't scared either. I put some chukars in a field and he had a blast.

Back