Tough Winter

pheasantaddict

It's been a tough winter this year in NW Iowa. I don't expect an increase in numbers next year as we've had about 40" of snow as Feb. Usually 28" or under is the magic number for pheasants to increase the following year.

Agreed!

Same here. Have been seeing some increase in predator kills--and some natural die off due to cold and deep snow.:(

As we all know the predators don't kill according to sex. I expect some decrease in my area as well due to the deep snow and lack of suitable habitat.

I've been feeding for three weeks now. The birds have even been attempting to dig where I have been placing feed in between feedings.

I've driven to Sioux Falls 6 times over the last 2 weeks. Prior to the Groundhog Day blizzard there were 25 to 40 pheasants feeding in the field on the south side of the highway by Rush Lake. Since then, I've seen zero in 3 trips over and back. I think the slough pheasants may have not survived, which is unfortunate.

Luckily, here in the Southern part of the state, the snow has been very minimal compared to some years. This is great as our birds typically can use all the help they can get.

Our pheasants numbers seemed to be down in our area compared to the previous year, but the quail really rebounded nicely and they are the ones that are particularly fragile. So, the winter weather we have been receiving has been exceptional.

Rock valley

I was up to Rock Valley Wednesday. I29 to 75 to 18. Awesome looking country but never saw a pheasant. Waterfowl everywhere. Water everywhere. Further north we went the more snow left overs we saw. Hope y'all have some survivors for breeding.

Was I even in pheasant country? Came north out of Missouri. Forgot to say that in previous post.

Was out the last weekend chasing squirrels about 30 minutes north of Cedar Rapids. Heard half a dozen and the dog found 2 roosters along the tree lines, and one in the woods. Not sure if the 60 degree temps had anything to do with it but it was nice to see some birds

I have a uncle who farms here in Emmet county, right next to Dickinson county. He has a stand of pine trees on his farm. He told me he had 15 deer sand 35 pheasnt hiding in it while we had all the snow and blowing. About a third of the birds were roosters.I'll try to be cautiously optomistic.

Back