Tough hunting

KansasGsp

My buddies and I tried the NW part of the state this past weekend. Haven't hunted up there for 7 or 8 years but it's been such a struggle this year we decided to head back out there and give it a go. Man, tough hunting is an understatement! Maybe seen 10-12 pheasants in two days with 4 guys and 4 dogs. We hunted good looking stuff with everything you look for in a field but the birds just aren't there. Talked to some other hunters at the hotel and it was the same for them. We seen one rooster running around on the road which is nuts to only see that one. The walk-in fields have been pounded out that way. Always good to get away and see some new areas but man I sure do miss being able to get into birds on a consistent basis where ever you went. Few and far between now a days. Sad.

I was out where my dad grew up this weekend more towards the sw. Hunting walk-in , I could have hunted private but honestly I don’t think I would have done any better. I killed 3 birds in 2 days, they were smart. I think the light may have finally come on for my youngest dog. She’s had her days but this weekend she may have put it together, fingers crossed.
There so much crp that’s out or coming out. There is a quarter that used to be my dads that I’ve wanted to figure a way to buy. It’ll be out this year, he didn’t like the offer on reinrollment he got. I can’t blame him, why would he re up it when he can farm at a higher value to his kids should they want to sell it when he passes away. The future doesn’t look very bright.

I'm headed NW in a couple of weeks with some buddies, so I'm a little disappointed at your report. I was in central Kansas yesterday and we had our best day of the season so far. 4 hunters and 1 dog scored 2 roosters and 8 quail. We probably found 6 coveys, maybe 7. The best part was we recovered everything we shot.

I hunted three days by myself with my lab. Started in the Lincoln area and around Osborne. All walk in. Saw zero birds. Not even a hen. Moved west and started in Plainville. Not much better. Saw a few hens and 1 rooster. On that day ended up and stayed in Wakeeney. Met a couple hunters hunting private land. Told me that they were having the same luck. They told me the locals had been saying all good things about the spring hatch and were positive. One of their theories was that there was just too much cover, nothing has been laid down due to zero snow this year and no real cold snap to bunch thing us. I agree with most of that. Third day a bit south and then east ended up in Jetmore. Saw a few hens and one more rooster. Never saw any quail. I never saw any birds while on the road, anywhere. That is really odd. Was out early and hunted late all three days.

I hunted three days by myself with my lab. Started in the Lincoln area and around Osborne. All walk in. Saw zero birds. Not even a hen. Moved west and started in Plainville. Not much better. Saw a few hens and 1 rooster. On that day ended up and stayed in Wakeeney. Met a couple hunters hunting private land. Told me that they were having the same luck. They told me the locals had been saying all good things about the spring hatch and were positive. One of their theories was that there was just too much cover, nothing has been laid down due to zero snow this year and no real cold snap to bunch thing us. I agree with most of that. Third day a bit south and then east ended up in Jetmore. Saw a few hens and one more rooster. Never saw any quail. I never saw any birds while on the road, anywhere. That is really odd. Was out early and hunted late all three days.

Well your first and last spots you should have seen birds - how many I dont know - I'd blame it on the dog or wrong places. At the bare minimum in Lincoln and Osborne you should have seen chickens flying around, I've never been there and not seen them - getting a shot is a different question. If you were looking for pheasants there - hardly any anymore. 10 yrs ago was the likely the last time pheasants did ok there. No idea about Wakeeney.

live2hunt,
I am the guy u talked too sw of palco as we loading up our shorthair.

Gary

Yeah, NW just isn't much this year. If you see phez, it's off in the distance as they spook flush. Once in a while a covey of quail is there. Pretty poor pickins'.

I just got back. I went into my usual areas 3 weeks ago and got into a fair amount of roosters. I went back this weekend and after 2 days we put up one hen in 2 different areas that ive done well in this season. Decided to try a whole different area for our last afternoon. Got into some hens, did not see any roosters. We got into quite a few chickens which made the dog work a joy to witness. Some held, some not at all. We did not shoot at them since we were in a restricted area. This was my worse trip this season-I intended to go one more time before season closes. I might have to rethink that idea. Lol...

Buddy hunted around Russell for 3 days last weekend. They saw 2 roosters and 10 hens with nothing in range. Also saw 3 coveys of quail.

went out Saturday in SW on private ground with no dogs. 9 guns, stopped hunting around 4. Found 20 quail and 7 roosters, and regrettably lost more. Tons of coveys, including the biggest covey I’ve ever seen (over 50 if there was one). Saw some crp that had been mowed down- we need to be talking to any farmers we can and letting them know every bit of info we can about crp corners, strips, Cover crops, etc...

I hunted the same properties 3 times this season; opening week, middle of December and New Years weekend. Opening week we saw a fair amount of pheasant and quail and did well. Mid December saw a bunch, but was hard to corral them being solo. New Year’s weekend they cooperated. Lots of birds, ran a lot, but dogs were most times able to pin them down. I was very happy with the numbers we saw. Even went as far to say that next year could be a banner year with a good hatch. This is in area that is mentioned in above posts.

Back