Total Newbie - Introduction

Hello everyone - my name is Brian and I am so happy to have found this forum. I am an active fly fisher based in New Jersey who is most likely relocating to CO in the Spring. I did not grow up hunting in any capacity, nor did anyone in my family, though we've done some skeet shooting over the years. I have been doing my best to educate myself on the wonderful tradition of bird hunting and am extremely excited to get involved in the sport, when the time is right, hopefully in Colorado.

My question is, if you were me and you wanted to get started in upland bird hunting from scratch, what would you do to ensure a safe, ethical hunting experience that is also fun, conservation-minded, etc? My wife also wants to be involved. We love hiking so we seem to be more drawn to upland than, say, sitting in a duck blind. And the thought of being able to hunt for our own food is particularly attractive since my wife is a great chef.

I am a lover of the outdoors and just want to expand my interaction with wildlife. Thank you to anyone who responds - it feels like a shot in the dark but we shall see!

Brian

One thing to consider is the Hunter Ed requirements in Colorado. There are classes available to take. I took one in Kansas as a 52 year old adult due to the fact I was born in 1950 and to elk hunt in Colorado would require although the date for Kansas Hunter's Ed is 1957. Hunter Ed classes are good for all ages and may be necessary in your case. Attached are Colorado's regs.
View attachment 7673

Getting involved with conservation groups like PF, RMEF, NWTF, DU would put you in contact with other hunters and possibly the opportunity to tag along without a gun at first. I have tagged along on a number of hunts with my camera, wanting to preserve memories of my friends or family members hunts.

Glad to see your interest in hunting. Welcome to UPH.

Last edited:
Thank you Maynard. Your recommendations seem spot-on, and I was thinking that, in the same model of Trout Unlimited, I may be able to find some help at local chapters of PF and the others you mentioned. I appreciate it.

Hi Brian. Been a long time troll on this forum and just joined yesterday. A lot of great advice on here and I'm positive you will get the info you are seeking in no time.
Where are you relocating to exactly? I am also a fly fisher and live in the Springs. We've got great tail water fisheries in the state. You're going to love the upland hunting and fly fishing in CO!

Hi, the exact location is TBD but most likely will be somewhere south of Denver, maybe Littleton. The Springs seems like a great place to be. I have fished just a couple times in CO - once on Clear Creek around Idaho Springs, and just recently on the Blue in Breckenridge, and I am very excited to get out there again soon.

I'm just trying to read up and learn as much as possible at this point, so if you ever want to swap notes, let's chat!

Welcome to the forum.

I would connect with a PF meeting or banquet. There you can meet up with some like minded folks and maybe get some advise or even a mentor. There are plenty of quality game farms around if you want to start out that way and get used to the basics. They will have guides and dogs you can hire. You can talk to the guides and watch the dogs work. Plus you don't need a license. I know it is a paid for experience but it helps if you've never shot flushing birds. Plus it will help you determine if you really want to pursue upland birds.

Colorado has a lot to do and many places to hunt so opportunities abound. Mr Byrd's advise about a hunter safety card is very important. It is easy enough to get once you're here as you'll have to wait 6 months to become an official resident (our non-res tags can be a bit pricey). Here a HSC is required and must be carried with you at all times unless you get it verified by DOW. I have been verified but still carry mine just the same.

Good luck!!

If you want to get into upland hunting, why wait to come to Colorado. I would look into the opportunities near you now and enjoy them while you're still on the east coast. Specifically Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock hunting. I know there are some pheasants out east too, but I'm not sure about NJ.
Look into the Ruffed Grouse Society and Pheasants Forever, to see if there are chapters nearby.
The experience will be different than upland hunting out west, but I'm sure if you really get into upland hunting, you would hate to think about what you missed out on.

Hello everyone - my name is Brian and I am so happy to have found this forum. I am an active fly fisher based in New Jersey who is most likely relocating to CO in the Spring. I did not grow up hunting in any capacity, nor did anyone in my family, though we've done some skeet shooting over the years. I have been doing my best to educate myself on the wonderful tradition of bird hunting and am extremely excited to get involved in the sport, when the time is right, hopefully in Colorado.

My question is, if you were me and you wanted to get started in upland bird hunting from scratch, what would you do to ensure a safe, ethical hunting experience that is also fun, conservation-minded, etc? My wife also wants to be involved. We love hiking so we seem to be more drawn to upland than, say, sitting in a duck blind. And the thought of being able to hunt for our own food is particularly attractive since my wife is a great chef.

I am a lover of the outdoors and just want to expand my interaction with wildlife. Thank you to anyone who responds - it feels like a shot in the dark but we shall see!

Brian

How you doing? What exit?

My wife is from Jersey ��

Hey, get yourself a started dog, he will teach you most of what you need to know about bird hunting. The rest you will pick up from hunting with diffrent folks and while you develop your own style. Shoot some sporting clays to stay sharp out there.

Hit me up when you move,

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks USMC. I'm in Hoboken, right across the Hudson river from NYC. I will be sure to get in touch with you when we come out. Thanks for the tips

Byrd,
Looks like we will be coming out to KS first weekend of December hunting near Greensburg.......heard from the guy at area we are hunting that birds are in good numbers....can't wait....the areas I used to hunt near Dodge have dried up (my local guy doesn't have the access anymore due to people leasing their land, people selling it or just not allowing hunters anymore)....very sad as I have been hunting out there since 1996. I really miss the good ole days....

I will miss eating at the Bad Habit....

Greg

Another great way to get started with upland game hunting, or any type of hunting for that matter is to ask around at work and your various social groups. I’ve found that most Coloradoans aren’t afraid to tell people they are hunters, and oftentime advertise their passion in some way (bumper stickers, pictures on their desk at work, social media, etc.).

My best pheasant hunting group came from guys I met at church, but I also had a group of guys from work that I used to hunt some with.

Talk about your desire to hunt, find someone to tag along with. Participate in a way that you feel comfortable with (its fun to go along even if you aren’t shooting - always nice to have another blocker or stalker). And before long you’ll have 3 dogs, a truck with a kennel in the back, a fancy over/under or side-by-side, and a pheasant hunting itch that simply won’t go away. :)

Point is, there are plenty of great ways to find guys to hunt with, and being a newbie you will want to hunt with some experienced pheasant hunters. Just beware the addiction that is bound to come. Good luck!

Back