Too Old???

KansasGsp

I've bred my 10 year old shorthair 3 times now and I've have a buddy that wants to breed him one more time to his female. My question is, is he too old? Thanks, KansasGsp

kansasgsp its kinda llike humans how old is to old the worst thing that could happen is he wont produce a litter be a friend and give your buddy one more crack at it i have breed a couple dogs right up until the year they die and they have always produced something

Try during the cooler months as his count will be higher!!!!

He should be ok if he is in good shape. At some point #'s will drop, or female male ratio will be one sided. You may have to do a DNA result for AKC. Also you could do a sperm check ahead of time. And might want to do brucellosis.

Last edited:
I've bred my 10 year old shorthair 3 times now and I've have a buddy that wants to breed him one more time to his female. My question is, is he too old? Thanks, KansasGsp

Too old? Interesting question. How will you know when you are too old?;)

Jim, I like that new Avatar. That is good. I think I'm going to have get some new pic's of my dogs............Bob

Well, if they have been like that, I mean if they have started giving birth at probably 2, and have regularly done that until the age of 10, then there would be no problem with it. The thing that probably bothers me is if it will be the first time, not aged 10. It would be unhealthy for her to start it now. I bet that she will really have a hard time getting them out.

Back