Today's field experience

Beefyz

Dog kicked out a rooster today on the gamelands and as it was going down a second one also bolted. The A5 was still at point so I took the second shot... and nothing ! Barrel was "locked back" tight, & wouldn't move. Couldn't figure it out in the field. Ironically, gamelands were about 3 miles away from my gunsmith, talk about luck. Hoping he would be home, he was, was stumped for a few minutes until he used a small pick to lift the ejector a bit that was showing at the port & pulled the barrel forward at the same time. Barrel came out of the receiver & immediately we saw the fired shell stuck in the chamber. Had to use a cleaning rod to dislodge it. Reassembled and i suggested we try a load/eject. Stuck again! Then it hit me, 1 second before my buddy said, Let me see the shell. Sure enough, and I am very careful about this, I reload all my loads/shells but somehow, yes, this box of Rio reloads got next to a new box of Rios and i used a reload in the A5. I never shoot my reloads in the A5, using them instead in the 2-SxSs that i use. Even though the hulls are reloaded on a Sizemaster, the sizing was still not enough i guess on the brass colored steel hull. MY BAD. Double check everything. (At least it was a good load; 1 1/8 #5s. )

Back