To sit, or not to sit.

Sit or Not

I have a GSP and a Lab and both of them are pointers. I trained the GSP to whoa on command and stand. The lab, I trained to sit on hand signal I began using it when I could see she was beginning to get birdy and pushing a runner ahead faster than I could keep up. I give a low single whistle to get her attention and a hand signal to sit. I then move ahead at a normal pace and when I catch up maybe I will stand for a minute or maybe give another hand signal to release her it depends on how birdy she is. It seems to work well for me normally the birds don't flush wild when using this tactic they may run ahead or try to circle around but normally they will hold up at the end of the field or at some kind of transition (any change in the terrain or cover from one to another). She has a great sense of situational awareness specifically where I am located. She is constantly looking to see where I am and if I start to fall behind she will many times sit and wait for me to catch up. If I get another lab I will teach sit.

I do not teach any of my dogs to sit. I teach them to stand.

I foster dogs for rescue, and I ended up keeping a dog. His name is Radar, and he's a bit of a knucklehead, and he doesn't find many birds but he loves to go along and run and he backs like a champ.

Anyways, he had sit pounded into him. By that, I mean, someone made him to sit a LOT. And that became his go to move when I would put any pressure on him.
If I wanted him to stop and stand, he'd sit. It simply became his fall back because someone had always rewarded him for that, and he thought that was what I was wanting him to do. It's not, and it made things more difficult.

My other guys, don't know sit, and they won't know sit. But, really, Radar didn't cause me to make that decision, but he damn sure cemented the fact that I won't teach sit.
But that's just me.

Back