to fix or not to fix ?

does getting your male dog take any of the drive out of them or is it even a factor i know it will settle them down and keep them close to home and i am not concerned with accidental breeding but does it take the hunting drive away or does it stay answers please

( when your cold , tired and hungry watch the dogs they may have other ideas)

does getting your male dog take any of the drive out of them or is it even a factor i know it will settle them down and keep them close to home and i am not concerned with accidental breeding but does it take the hunting drive away or does it stay answers please

( when your cold , tired and hungry watch the dogs they may have other ideas)

It makes no difference in a hunting dog and may well save him from prostate problems later in life.

I've had 3 male dogs so far and can't say that there is any significant difference between the ones that have been fixed and the ones that haven't. I'd rather have them fixed so they can focus on hunting even when there is a bitch in heat hunting with us. I've only seen one male that still had his junk that would leave the bitch dogs alone when they were in heat.

Tony is fixed, I seen no loss of hunting ability and drive in him. The only thing I did wrong is I got him done at 6 months. Never again, I wait til well past a year. thank you........Bob

we are looking at fixing three males that we are not breeding anymore 2 are 3 years old and 1 we havent bred yet he is only 6months old why would you wait until they are a year old bob other than they arent done growing yet and do you think a female should be fixed before or after her first litter

do you think a female should be fixed before or after her first litter

From everything I have read, and had experience with, it is best to spay a female prior to her first heat cycle. I've done mine from 6-9 months and never seen a problem.

indeed i have done mine before the first cycle but they just seem to be missing something im wondering if i shouldnt wait until later and let them mature a little more but the only ones i spay or nueder are the dogs i dont intend to breed or am selling and not ever wanting bred seems kinda greedy but i dont want my bloodlines going elsware i worked and payed for the ones i have

GCB, It made Tony grow to about 2 inches over size all over and a weight of 63 pounds. For a Brit he is one very big dog. Reason the testosterone Shut off. Was removed before he was full grown. His internal organs did not grow to match his size. So he gets winded easily and he gets tired before he should. You also can hear him breathing trying to get more air as he hunts. I some times think it makes the birds run, when they hear him coming. His coat is real fuzzy it sticks out all different directions. When his coat is long he looks terrible to say the least.........Bob

I try not to cut my male dogs till they are a year to 1 1/2 years old. I have never heard of the organs not growing to size I just do it for the looks. I want a male dog to look like a male. Large chest Sq head and size.
My vet always wants me to do it when they are 6months old? I have never got a good answer from him why.

I have also been told to get the females should be done before the first cycle. But I don't know why.

Unless you are a dog breeder, get them fixed.

I can't see a point in an "intact'" hunting dog, or for sure any pet.:eek:
Well I don't know about snakes and tweetie birds and stuff?:confused:

I don't care to hunt with an "intact" dog.

mnmthunting, i am a breeder but this has nothing to do with why i asked the question the original question and ill hunt with an intact male over an intact female anyday you just need to pay attention and not hunt not females in the group

mnmthunting, i am a breeder but this has nothing to do with why i asked the question the original question and ill hunt with an intact male over an intact female anyday you just need to pay attention and not hunt not females in the group

I'm not sure what you mean here. Some words in their confused me a little. Are you saying you would rather hunt with a male over a female? Didn't understand it.

No, I believe he's saying you don't have a problem as long as you don't hunt an intact male w/ an intact female.....at least that's how I'm taking it.

nope 'm saying i would rather hunt a male the reason is that a broke male will run circles aroun a female anyday they are mre intese and yes i am saying that you need to watch and pay attention if your dogs are not fixed

I keep mine intact because I think it helps keep them from getting overweight. Some would argue a change in diet would accomplish the same thing. I do believe that a intact male verse a cut male puts weight on in different places.

I don't know if the weight problem would be relative to being spayed or neutered. Think it's diet and activity.

I'm only saying if you want pups fine. If not there is no reason to keep them intact.

Everything I have read about females being spayed has indicated the longer you wait the better it is for the dog. Most of what I have researched has said after the second heat cycle, because of maturity. Ironically, I just found this very interesting study report on another site.

http://www.gpmcf.org/respectovaries.html

As far as a female being out run or out hunted by the males, I positively beg to differ. It depends on the dog and conditioning. My female will run with the best of them day in and day out, and probably out perform the greater majority of the males she hunts with. She has proven this many times.

Everything I have read about females being spayed has indicated the longer you wait the better it is for the dog. Most of what I have researched has said after the second heat cycle, because of maturity.
Put me in the camp of "wait till they are fully mature"- physically (ie growth plates closed, organs fully formed, etc), physiologically and psychologically. This timing will vary with the breed. But it is not at 6 mos of age.

Then they will get spayed/neutered unless they are breeding prospects and, less than 10% are IMHO.

NB

I'm no doctor and I'm no vet. , but I do know about testosterone. Testosterone is where a male.......animal or human......gets his energy from and testosterone helps burn fat in either. If a man was castrated at an early age he would not lose the hair on his head......it would be full, and he would not have facial hair or body hair.......on a dog.....If cut early enough in life.....before 6 months.....I would imagine the dogs hair would grow unmanageably. But at the same time....without testosterone neither would have prostrate problems or cancer.

Back