to eat or not to eat

ljckr

i've seen on here everyone talk about things they have fed their dogs like carrots, potatos, etc. what are some of the most dangerous things to feed a dog that might cause health problems that i might not think would do any harm ?

Chocolate, cooked bones, pork bones, and any dog food that is more expensive than your wife thinks appropriate, magnets, small toys, small bits of rawhide,
lots of room for others to add theirs.

Chocolate, cooked bones, pork bones, and any dog food that is more expensive than your wife thinks appropriate, magnets, small toys, small bits of rawhide,
lots of room for others to add theirs.

I think it's only baking chocolate that is harmfull to dogs in large amounts??
I never heard about the cooked bones? All I give my dogs is cooked bones.
The wife answer is %100 true. lol

For the most part I would feed them dog food and dog treats only. It cuts down on the begging at the table.

Cooked bones are supposed to be more likely to splinter and cause choking. Pork bones are supposed to be too soft and can cause an impaction in the GI tract. I had an uncle who had to have surgery on one of his mutts over the pork bone thing. Small bits of rawhide can also cause choking. I'm fine with giving my pups rawhide, a cow hoof or pig ear, but take away the remaining bit when it gets just big enough to fit whole in their mouth. Raw bones are best and have bits of meat and marrow to boot. Agree that the choking on a foreign object is an outside chance, but personally, I try and avoid the possibility anyway. Someone on this forum or another bird dog forum I'm on told about an 8 wk old pup in a litter that was about to go to it's new home, when it tried to bark with a mouthful of kibble and died right then and there. Stuff happens.

Last edited:
Here were a few surprising ones to me: onions and raisins - toxic to dogs.

Choking on things like rawhides seem mostly problematic for brachycephalic dogs (the vet used this term and I had to look it up "short-head" - a bulldog being the best example). We've never had our lab choke on rawhide, and she eats them weekly. Puke - yes, choke - no!

-Croc

I have seen Chicken bones do some real damage to a dog. I would never give a dog those bones again cooked or otherwise. As for Veggies, dogs love them and I have never seen much harm come from carrots, spuds and those type of veggies. Tony just love carrots and celery stuffed with cream cheese...................Bob

an older gentelman once told me that he gave his older shorthair a small piece of milkey way when he would get stifflegged while hunting so i tried it and as far aas working for stiffness its unknown but now they expect it on every outing

I did quite abit of research on this very subject prior to spending money on a hunting dog. I wanted to be sure and get it right and make no stupid mistakes. What I found was that a dog can eat basically everything but not all the time. Veggies are great for a dog and welcome at any time. Peanutbutter and Jelly sandwiches for hunting energy. Aviod raisins, onions (I dont think a dog would eat them anyway), grapes, oranges and grapefruit. Watch out for what your dog may be chewing on when in the field. Maybe that flower will turn out to be toxic and there is always loco weed (not marijauna) to contend with in certain areas. This stuff has killed cows and horses, tastes great to them, so they'll want to investigate when/if found. I try and catch everything my dog puts in her mounth, doesnt always work, but I try. We had a Lab that once consumed 32 oz of oil base paint, 12 oz JB weld and hardener, and a 2 oz vile of Crazy Glue, then washed it all down with a 1 lb bag of M&M's. This all went down within 10 minutes! When I realized what had happened I told my kids they had better play with him now because he'd be dead in a couple hours. Damn hound never batted an eye and ran around like nothing even happened. That was three years ago and he's still kickin today. You just never know I guess.

We had a Lab that once consumed 32 oz of oil base paint, 12 oz JB weld and hardener, and a 2 oz vile of Crazy Glue, then washed it all down with a 1 lb bag of M&M's. This all went down within 10 minutes! When I realized what had happened I told my kids they had better play with him now because he'd be dead in a couple hours. Damn hound never batted an eye and ran around like nothing even happened. That was three years ago and he's still kickin today. You just never know I guess.

:eek::eek::eek: Wow! My lab lapped up a cup of oil after a shore lunch and ended up with pancreatitis - overnight to teh vet on an IV to rehydrate her. I don't think she's have managed to choke down what your dog ate! Glad he survived it. Must have been at least a little constipated after the JB weld - no?

The risk with onions (re: your comment that dogs won't eat them) is baby food apparently. SOme people give it to dehydrated dogs who are having a spell of diahrea or vomiting without knowing that there's quite a bit of onion in there.

-Croc

Crockett, I have always heard that if a dog has Diarrhea or Vomiting. The best thing for them is cook some Rice in Chicken Broth and feed That to them. It will fix them up pretty quick...........Bob

Crockett, I have always heard that if a dog has Diarrhea or Vomiting. The best thing for them is cook some Rice in Chicken Broth and feed That to them. It will fix them up pretty quick...........Bob

Thanks Bob. In Ruby's case (with the shore-lunch oil) we got to her too late - by then she was critically dehydrated. Definitely, since then we use plain white rice in Gatorade if she even has serious diarrhea or vomiting to keep her hydrated and try to get her "regular" again. One neat trick that the vet showed me to check if your dog is getting dehydtrated is to lift the upper lip and press your finger against the hard part of the gums. When you lift your finger off you will leave a white mark underneath (like pressing on a sunburn). If it takes more than a One-Mississippi-Two-Mississippi count for the pink to return the dog is abnormally dehydrated. I use this now if she is sick and more often to check all the dogs during long/hot hunts.
-Croc

Crockett, Thank you for that tip I never knew that. I will remember it for Tony over-heats quick and getting enough water in him while hunting can be a chore. That Gatorade and White Rice, I always have read that it is bad for the dogs kidneys and liver. I therefore, have kept it away from my dogs. Where did you get the tip to use it?. MY White Rice and Chicken Broth was only for upset stomachs...........Bob

Our old vet suggested that a dehydrated dog could use some dilute gatorade to rebalance electrolytes. Thanks for letting me know that you've heard otherwise - I'll ask my current (better) vet.
-Croc

I have heard that stuff is pretty good LJCKR, but us poor folks can't afford that fancy stuff. When I looked at it, it was pretty pricey..............Bob

well there might be a generic brand but if there is not wouldn't it be worth it to keep a bottle handi if you have problems with dehydrating.

You do have a point, but when do you notice your dog dehydrating? When you better than a half mile from your SUV/Truck. I carry 32 ounces or so of water, and then the normal stuff. I don't know where I'd put the pedilite. By the time you get them back to the SUV, you are done for the day. They take a while to recover and cool down. Even a swim in creek or lake don't help enough to take them back out hunting.......Bob

Last edited:
i can't remember ever having trouble with a dog getting dehydrated guess i've been lucky and having water around in the field and carrying water and giving them water at the truck ,but you right where do you carry it all you'd need a pack mule to follow you as you hunt to keep everything.

That water I carry is not for me it is all for the dog. It is a 3 big Karo Syrup bottle, so it holds a lot. I only carry 1 at a time into the field. But I have seen Tony in the early season drink that bottle on the hunt out. He don't save much for the trip back.............Bob

Back