Tinker turns 3 years old. Life is good. :)

Kismet

UPH Guru
The Craig's list GWP pup I bought two years ago, presuming she would be my last bird dog, turns 3 years old March 8th.

I got lucky.

I've been able to perk her up from fearful and submissive to a happy pup who loves to hunt, has been flawless (so far) in retrieving, is just plain funny when she leaps up in the air and POUNCES on the retrieving dummy--like a fox on a mouse in the snow--and has held her points from our first "official" hunting season bird.

She still winces a bit when I bring my hand down to pet the side of her head, but it is not a consistent move and I don't know that I'll ever rid her of that puppyhood conditioning.

I've only used the tone with the e-collar after her first owner spoke of exhausting the battery trying to make her obey.:( She's fine with it. In fact, probably like all our dogs, she starts bouncing when I take the collar out and giving little yips when the shotgun case gets placed by the door.

I've got some years on me, but she's already hunted with the friend who has agreed to take her if I pass along before she does.

I haven't had her fixed yet and go back and forth about producing a litter from her. I think I won't, having raised a litter many years ago. If she becomes something outstanding, I'll revisit my judgement. Mostly, I think, the world has enough dogs.

She and Mick (12 y/o ESS) still get into the ball o'fur wrestling matches, growling ferociously as they tumble across the rug. :)

Happy Birthday, Tinker. Thanks for visiting my life.

Last edited:
Good dog,Tinker. Lots of happy days and seasons ahead for the two of you. She'll help keep your senior dog active and happy too.

Last edited:
Love those goats! Its a blessing she ended up with you. We have a sprinter that was extremely timid when we got her at 9 months. She'd pee if someone just looked at her sideways. Figured she had too much of a hard hand in her youth. Actually the only bird shy dog i ever saw. Took some time and effort, but great result in the end.

Back