Timing is everything

As a kid I chased wild ringnecks in SW PA. During the late 80's through 2009 I hunted SW IA every year. Since 2010 I have chased birds in KS.

The size of fields and cover type is certainly different in KS than IA And while I have been successful, I am trying to get a grasp on being more effective in which fields, and when, to hunt.

During my recent trip to Kansas it was apparent that the time of day one hunts a field can make a big difference in birds flushed.

I generally hunted WIHA next to harvested Milo fields. Also some wheat stubble. Moved very few birds in the wheat.

I seemed to have better luck in the afternoon than morning.

Anyone care to comment on time of day to hunt different cover?

By the way, I have ROFT type setters.

If you want birds to sit, I will always recommend hunting them after 11:00 a.m. A normal routine for a bird is to east in the morning which means most of them are on high alert and even wild flushing just to get there quicker. The second routine always seems to have them sun for a bit before heading back to a bedding area with good cover. Early evening to the last 30 minutes you will have them up again heading to fields and being on feed field edges. Morning can be great but it can also lead to a lot of walking only to have birds flushing to soon. A mid day hunt you are odds are much higher catching them snoozing or letting their guard down some as most predators are doing the same. Hunt when you can and have fun.

Back