Timid GSP

First off, "Manny" is the best GSP I have ever owned. He is on the timid side when it comes to other dogs. He's not a fighter, and loves most people. I've only seen him growl at 3-5 people ever, and 2 of those were the lady who bought our house and her real estate agent. He hated them. When I was a kid, our GSP "ginger" would fight right along side of me whenever I got into fights in the neighborhood. She would literally go into full attack mode. So, question #1 is this a learned trait, or is it instinctive. The reason I ask, in this day and age, I would love to be able to depend on Manny to protect my 12 yr old son, should the need occour. Manny rarely ever barked the first year we had him, then all of a sudden, he started becoming a decent watchdog, he'll tell me when there are intruders in our area. But actually defending and protecting, not too confident at this time. Any insite?

As bird dogs are usually hunted with other dogs and people, I think they are bred to get along, be social, and not aggressive. My Brittany is that way. Now he will bark up a storm at noises outside, or at people and dogs as he rides in the car, but he would never stand his ground unless cornered. Bird dogs just aren't bred for it.

Back