Thursday - our Atlantic coast opener

crockett

In Nova Scotia we have an Oct 1 opener on the Atlantic coast counties (where there is less agriculture, and less pheasant habitat) and then a November 1 opener in the Fundy coast counties, where most of the good cover and pheasants are. I finally have built a small milk-run of Oct 1 spots to get a few hunts in, so I'm excited to take a day off from work on Thursday to hit one of my spots. It's not my best spot, but it is the one that gets the most pressure (it's public land), so I figure I should get on that on opening day and save my private spots for Saturday.
There are two big changes for me this year:
1. a full-time job (in the past I was self-employed, and could fit in a few weekday hunts without having to answer to anyone). This is definitely going to be an adjustment for me.
2. an e-collar on the dog. For Ruby's first four seasons we went without an e-collar. As a beginner (my first gun dog and just getting into wingshooting), Ruby and I learned together a lot about pheasants and dogs and each other, and I put in many, many hours of training (she's a flushing lab). One thing that I could never quite get past was stopping her when on hot scent of a running pheasant. This was not a huge problem for me, because it was a fairly rare occurence that she would flush them out of range and she never went THAT far. Still, I realized last year that it was affecting who I would hunt with, as well as my stress level when hunting with others (and alone, to a certain extent). FOr example, there is an elderly guy who I really like hunting with, but he moves slowly and has well-trained labs wearing e-collars. Although he never said anything, I know that he found hunting with me and RUby stressful because of the speed that she would move at and the fact that this would sometimes result in birds flushed out or range. Towards the end of last season she got into a great piece of cover and lost he mind - she took off out of sight and pushed every pheasant out of the cover. When I finally got her back she had a cut on one shoulder and I was very frustrated and worried. I resolved that this HAD to be fixed by the 2009 season, for many reasons. Last winter and this spring I spent a LOT of time with a long-line reinforcing Ruby's whistle sit. SHe made decent progress, but still needed a correctioon at the beginning of every session (and that was not even with live birds!). After that first correction she woudl respond well, but even after many sessions she just couldn't resist until she's been "reminded". When I did test her on wild birds (again with the long-line) she responded fairly well, but it required a lot of vocalization and whistling on my part, which I really don't like doing. Not only is all the yelling and whistling and scolding the dog annoying and noisy (for me, let alone for other hunters in my party or otherwise) but I noticed last year how quickly roosters on public land wise up to this and flush wild way out of range as a result. After a half-dozen real bird sessions (with training between) without any noticeable improvement I finally I decided to try an e-collar. I put in on her and took her through a conditioning program. She responded very well, and did not require a very strong stimulation to get a very good response. I don't regret waiting 4 years to do it, because I really learned a lot about the principles of dog training as a result. On the other hand, I think that our hunts will be more effective and more enjoyable because she's working so much more nicely within range than she has in the past, especially in open cover.
Best of luck to all on opening day, whenever it might be for you all. I hope to be out on Thursday for most of the day for the opener (alone) and then with my hunting partner and his new dog (also a flushing lab) on Saturday.
Cheers,
-Croc

Put in a difficult morning yesterday. Three guns and two dogs in some pretty nasty cover. It was HOT and BUGGY! In the end the dogs put up a dozen pheasants in one go and I picked out a rooster. After that we found a bunch of the hens, and passed up a shot at another rooster for safety reasons. Took a rest in the afternoon and then drove across to Hants county (where waterfowl season is open) and tossed a few decoys in a little pond for the evening. Saw a few ducks go by but all high and fast and none decoyed. The blackflies came out to help the mosquitoes try to kill us and the dog. Two geese turned beautifully to the call and I kept them circling for 10 minutes but with no dekes we were outta luck and they moved on. It was great to "talk" with them and to see them respond so well to my calling. Even after losing a gallon of sweat and nearly that much blood it was still a good opener. I finished the day by rolling my aching body into bed and falling asleep to the sound of the dog's toenails clicking against the wall as she charged across a field of dreams after a tumbled rooster...
Going again tomorrow - can't wait!
-Croc

Well, Saturday was hot and hard work again. My buddy has his dog out - a 7 year old lab who had never hunted before. He did well - really getting the hang of it pretty quickly and putting up some birds on his own. He worked nicely in range. My buddy got one rooster and I missed on that I shouldn't have. Too quick on the trigger and not enough lead... :eek:
This morning was the only nice weather break this week and work was quiet, so I nipped out for an hour or so. I managed to redeem myself with a limit of roosters. The dog worked well and I was cleaned up and at my desk by 10!
Rubymorningquickylimit.jpg

THis was only my second limit of pheasants ever - very satisfying after my poor showing on the weekend!
-Croc

World's Cutest Dog Nails Pheasants

Well, Saturday was hot and hard work again. My buddy has his dog out - a 7 year old lab who had never hunted before. He did well - really getting the hang of it pretty quickly and putting up some birds on his own. He worked nicely in range. My buddy got one rooster and I missed on that I shouldn't have. Too quick on the trigger and not enough lead... :eek:
This morning was the only nice weather break this week and work was quiet, so I nipped out for an hour or so. I managed to redeem myself with a limit of roosters. The dog worked well and I was cleaned up and at my desk by 10!
Rubymorningquickylimit.jpg

THis was only my second limit of pheasants ever - very satisfying after my poor showing on the weekend!
-Croc

You're the fellow with the world's cutest dog. We southern folk (KS here) are envious that you are already out on pheasants. You and your beautiful dog have a wonderful bird season.

That's awesome Crockett! Thanks for sharing your story with those of us who are still going to be waiting for several weeks. It helps satisfy the desire a bit. I'm going crazy here........let's get this party started!!

Thanks for all the kind words guys :)
I'm glad that you're not finding it too painful for me to ramble on while you're still waiting for your opener! I'm sure you'll get your revenge on me when your season opens though!
Cheers,
-Croc

Back