throwing some cold water

I think folks need to calm down in regards to the roadside counts. One of teh MAJOR factors was dew conditions making this years count more effective than the last couple super dry August counts. I have seen it referred to as "biologically impossible" for hens to produce those increases. We just have a better count.

Now that said- yes, I am seeing more birds and damn glad to see it. Its a good start and if we can get a decent winter and spring I'll be even happier. I also shot many birds the last couple years when there "weren't any". They are out there, keep after them, have fun. I just think there are a whole lot of people that are expecting birds thick enough to hunt with a golf club and we just arent there yet. Setting the bar too high can lead to alot of discouragement....

They'll give up soon enough and leave the rest for the die hard hunters. Still need a few years of easy winters and good spring conditions to get back to decent #'s. We really need to see some habitat "going in" vs. "coming out".

Hard work will payoff

Being from Iowa originally I can remember those so called easy years. Living in Michigan where bird numbers are really low, when I come to Iowa I have always been able to find birds, just had to work harder during the last few years. It is good to hear that the numbers are better this year. Like you I never believe the "road side counts" as gospel. I believe what I see in the field. Like "Drumming Counts" in grouse it doesn't mean that there are great numbers everywhere. Just the conditions that time frame were better for the counts that day.
I have always watched this forum but never posted. I finially decided to join in the conversation. I chase grouse and woodcock in Sept. and all of Oct. and am ready to chase those "Long Tails". I will be there over Thanksgiving and can't wait. Enjoy the posts of informed "Pheasant Hunters"

Bird - you should go to the intro forum and introduce yourself. Welcome. There's some good guys on here. Good info, good banter and it gets interesting at times.

Like you, I hunt grouse and woodcock, with an annual pheasant hunt west, either Iowa or SD. I leave for Iowa in the morning. Last year we had a good hunt and I am hopeful for the same this year. Only thing that may temper it is whether much corn is standing. Last year it was all off by the time of our trip.

Back