Thoughts on this year

JVolt

I am interested to see everyone's take on Missouri pheasant hunting this year.

I hunt primarily public land in the northwest region of the state. This was a rather poor year for quail on the public places I hunted in my opinion. I averaged 1.5-2 covies per hunt but most public covies were under 10 birds. I understand this is part of public hunting, but I wish people would quit chasing those small covies. Talked to a guy in a parking lot last weekend at Bilby that was stoked he killed 3 quail out of a covey of 7 birds as if there is a stat out there that records the percentage of the covey you kill. What made it worse in my opinion is that the covey flushed wild and flew to a small tree line. He was unable to get a shot at the covey rise but pursued this small covey and sent the remaining birds in opposite directions. We started the hunt around 0 degrees so I am guessing the other 4 didn't make it but who knows. I wish people would think of the future of quail like the guys on this form. I have killed 19 quail this year but the majority have been on private land, passing most on public land.

As for pheasants, this year was my best year by far. Primarily due to my GSP turning it on this year (2 1/2 years old). I didn't necessarily see more pheasants this year, but I had better luck with getting birds up in range. I have personally killed 19 roosters in Missouri this year (17 public, 2 private) in 12 hunts. I hope to scratch another out this weekend to reach 20.

I have seen more hunters this year than I have in recent memory. It could
Be for a few reasons or just coincidence but it seems that more and more people are hunting public land. I also saw more guys this year hunting large public CRP-like fields without dogs. More power to them.

So back to the original question... what do you guys take away from this season?

God bless and happy hunting

Covey sizes for me on public land were small as well. Private ground had decent size coveys for me. My pheasant hunting spot had a significant drop in numbers.

I did more deer hunting this year than upland hunting. The lack of decent spots was the main reason.

My private areas are the same as they always are. I was surprised at the number of birds on public ground this year though. I saw way more and bigger covey sizes. I did find birds this year where I have never found em before. I think that is the big thing to take away from this year.

I mostly hunted public land, got into quail just about every time out disappointed with the size of coveys, only averaging around 8-10 birds per covey 3-4 12to15 birds per covey; I won't shoot at a 10 bird covey, but will go ahead and work the dog on singles, making stand steady to release, so not all is wasted. But I did find more pheasant this year. But just being out there watching the dog's work made it a good season.:)

My boots had holes in them. I ordered a new pair via internet. They were not waterproof so I sent them back. Used the boots with holes in them. Feet never got wet. No heavy dew in the morning. Hot. Heavy cover. Dogs had trouble tracking me! The birds won the 2016 battle.

I'm holding a grudge. New dog and new gun next fall.

What was your thoughts on covey size and quantity of quail/pheasants when and if you ever saw birds, crossing shot?

My boots had holes in them. I ordered a new pair via internet. They were not waterproof so I sent them back. Used the boots with holes in them. Feet never got wet. No heavy dew in the morning. Hot. Heavy cover. Dogs had trouble tracking me! The birds won the 2016 battle.

I'm holding a grudge. New dog and new gun next fall.

Don't get frustrated. Some years are like that. How many times did you get out? How many days in Missouri did you hunt?

Worst pheasant year for me. Only one shot in Missouri. I assume reading the Illinois posts, that it might have been better east. Did not focus on roosters.

Covey size was good. Only found a couple coveys too small to shoot.

My brother-in-law had a good season. He batters coveys all year long. Couldn't take it and looked for new coveys solo. Didn't find much.

Sounds the same in Kansas. Spotty. Probably spotty always precedes good. This winter looks done for serious bird losses. If the big storms stay away this June...

I hunted about 25 days. I retired my close working britt this year. Hunting with two runners was frustrating. Both were 9 yo. Went through a long period with no points. Shot like 6 birds in a row that I flushed. Excited about new pup.

Used four different guns this year. Frustrating also.

Truck was totaled week before Christmas. Did not get much time in Kansas.

Don't feel too sorry for me. Shot a lot of birds. Used to shoot 20 roosters each November in Missouri.

Let me know if you find a britt litter.

Yeah I got lucky and got to hunt about 20 days in Kansas this year. Give or take a couple of the half days. Gonna take one more trip south this year hopefully, if I can do it without getting divorced! I've found that if I let the dogs cuddle with the wife, then ask the dogs if they want to go huntin. When I say that they get all excited and the wifey sees that. Then its an easier sell!

That's the main reason I don't get to go out as much as what I want - the wife!
Plus I have a 10 month old.

photo.php

Not on this site. I am proud of a picture on my Facebook page, Kevin Kobett. It is a public, soon to be business page.

The two dogs pictured were the last of my kennel. The dog to the left was the last pup from my breeding pair. The other dog was a granddaughter. The dogs are close as the honoring dog did not see the point until close. Susie, my breeder, was too smart to train. At ten months, she was perfect. She trained me. Wish I could have kept the lineage going.

Back