Thought i was in SoDak

quail hound

I had yesterday off so me and the dog snuck off to Salt Slough for some much needed alone time. We stared hunting and I just followed the dog and let him do his thing. We hunted one field for about 1/2hr zig zagging, circling and back tracking until it happened, 5 roosters and 3 hens took off still 75yds ahead of us.:( We hunted until 2:30 and flushed 11 more hens but no more roosters. Oh well, what a great day and a great performance from JP. I'll be back to challenge those wiley roosters again.:cheers:

Right on! Sounds like some fun. I've been trying to plan a Wednesday out, but just haven't been able to make it happen. Hoping to get out Sunday again though.

Sounds like a great day QH. I personally have had some of my best days afield just simply letting the dog take the lead like that. Good luck with your next hunt.

If you get a nice bird post a picture (if you get a chance). I've never seen a wild Cali rooster before.;)

California pheasants are an odd bunch 1pheas4. Around here all roosters have a full ring but as you go north the full ring slowly fades until north of Sacramento you will find no wild roosters with a full ring. I wonder if this trend continues farther north and Oregon pheasants have no rings at all.:eek:

I've never witnessed them for myself but I am told and have read that the pheasants down south (Imperial Valley south into Mexicali Mexico) are of pure Chinese ringneck stock imported by the Chinese building the rail road. They are said to be the purest wild birds in north America.

So it seems to me California has 3 distinct pheasants; Imperial valley, San Jaquine valley, and Sacramento valley pheasants.

Pup pointed & I flushed 15 wild Pheasants in SE WA last weekend (which is rather remarkable). Unfortunately, they were ALL hens, but pup had a good time doing it & I had a good time watching.

Nice work koja, seems there are still some wild birds out here on the west coast.:cheers:

Thanks . . . just the wrong gender for my pleasure, but good in any gender for the pup. If we have a reasonably dry Spring, next year suggests "promise."

Yep. Same problem here, no roosters in range. My dog just gives me that look as I let hen after hen fly away, he just doesn't understand.

We need a wet spring around here and we may have a decent hatch so you send us some of that rain and I'll send you some sunshine.:cheers:

I'll send you some sun if you promise to keep the rain . . .

Back