Thorns & Hazards in pheasant country

beartooths

Today i was going through my hunting gear, in the process of bringing my dog back into top shape and getting him working hard again, and i came across the hunting boots i was forced to use last year around holyoke!! The thorns out there last year were horrible, and i couldnt even let my dogs sit in the field! I currently use Avery dog boots, but i was curious if anyone has had any luck with any others that hold up well to the worst of the thorns?

I think i only found a few fields last year that didnt totally require dog boots, and if it was not thorns, it was cactus!! And nowadays; i read an article about how certain weeds seeds can cause serious hazards to our hunting friends as well, lodging their seeds in the eyes of dogs, getting stuck in the noses of dogs as they look for birds, some even working their way into the skin and the flesh of the dog, requiring surgery to get the seed and the infection that it caused out! I give them a ton of credit, hunting dogs are really something, they can sure take the abuse of the elements and keep on going!!
Im just curious what are some issues hunters have found that their dogs can run into out in the field, things we should all watch out for?!

Rattle snakes, skunk, porkupines, Coyotes, Barbed wire, Rabid deer, Killer cottontails. I hear if you leave them in the kennel theres no worries.

Usually by dog gets really good at avoiding prickle pear cactus. But sand burs and goats beard will bother him. I hunted one pasture that I had to carry him out the goat beard was so bad. Knock on wood, he hasn't found a rattlesnake yet.

I thank god my dog has not found a rattlesnake yet either! ( knock on wood )!i had to carry my dog out of one field once because the thorns were so bad, he would get them in his feet, then sit down to try to get them out, and they would be all over his side, it was never ending!

I use Avery's on my GSP. The rear boots stick on her like glue. The front boots slide and twist and are a pain. I am looking for a new brand for the front. The boots do a decent job of protecting her toes and pads. The neopreme uppers will stop short thorn varieties but long thorn prickly pears and other go though the uppers like butter.

Back