This should help expand CRP

fsentkilr

Awesome, loving seeing more CRP, which directly means more pheasants! Sorry for the excitement here, our KS downers will show-up mad about this news....and then they can go off on PF.

The big problem now is corn broke $6/bushel today.....tough, next to impossible, to get many acres in corn production territory now.

Just burned about 50 acres of CRP saturday, we do a third each year (per the management contract), more work, but we keep plenty of nesting cover for every season. One more third next spring and then it will be by owner request after that.

Awesome, loving seeing more CRP, which directly means more pheasants! Sorry for the excitement here, our KS downers will show-up mad about this news....and then they can go off on PF.

The big problem now is corn broke $6/bushel today.....tough, next to impossible, to get many acres in corn production territory now.

Just burned about 50 acres of CRP saturday, we do a third each year (per the management contract), more work, but we keep plenty of nesting cover for every season. One more third next spring and then it will be by owner request after that.
Corn breaking 6 dollars for sure isn't a problem for me. Lol. Actually I sold some for 6.70. Beans are close to 16.

And are you considering adding any acres to the CRP programs currently? Farmers should get healed-up nicely if these prices can spend a few seasons around those numbers.....but it won't help the pheasants a bit.

And are you considering adding any acres to the CRP programs currently? Farmers should get healed-up nicely if these prices can spend a few seasons around those numbers.....but it won't help the pheasants a bit.
I just bought 245 acres that are all tillable in Ness County a couple months ago. Depending on how much rates go up I may put it in.

That a boy!!!...it will take sportsmen to put productive acres in the program in these times. Is there any "ownership seasoning" requirements to enroll?

That a boy!!!...it will take sportsmen to put productive acres in the program in these times. Is there any "ownership seasoning" requirements to enroll?
I am not sure about the program now, but it used to be you just had to own it prior to enrolling. We have a lot in crp. We did have over 700 acres but I haven't been renewing it when it came out since they cut the payments. These acres were all upland bird buffers and filter strips. I would say we have around 500 now. I also have 240 acres of WRP in FInney county ass well as 160 acres of pasture that I just let go for the wildlife. There is a windmill there that I let continually run to provide water. Not all farmers are out to ruin the hunting. I have done more and spent more than anyone I know to support quail and pheasant. That's why I get so pissed at some of the anti farmer attitudes on here. BTW weather I enroll the new ground in CRP or not, there will be 50 feet left all around the edge for weeds to grow. My tenant isn't crazy about doing that but we are. It won't be enrolled in a government program unless I get it all in, Im just doing it on my dime for the birds.

*******There is a windmill there that I let continually run to provide water. Not all farmers are out to ruin the hunting. I have done more and spent more than anyone I know to support quail and pheasant. That's why I get so pissed at some of the anti farmer attitudes on here. BTW weather I enroll the new ground in CRP or not, there will be 50 feet left all around the edge for weeds to grow. My tenant isn't crazy about doing that but we are. It won't be enrolled in a government program unless I get it all in, Im just doing it on my dime for the birds.

My perspective and you have your own is that you may take some of the comments too personal - none are directed at guys that work with wildlife and I dont think it can be disputed that changes in farming practices IMO which have been largely driven by "Big Ag" as I call it are detrimental to wildlife and it's been having a negative impact for years -- I saw the start of a downhill slide in the later 90s. Got even worse mid to late 00's.

People can be against sins to mother nature and yet still be on the same team. Not all farmers are out to rape and pillage -- some are - especially the big corporate outfits which make up the vast majority of land ownership.

Your input is valued here by all -- I notice you stop posting if something negative is posted about farmers.

My perspective and you have your own is that you may take some of the comments too personal - none are directed at guys that work with wildlife and I dont think it can be disputed that changes in farming practices IMO which have been largely driven by "Big Ag" as I call it are detrimental to wildlife and it's been having a negative impact for years -- I saw the start of a downhill slide in the later 90s. Got even worse mid to late 00's.

People can be against sins to mother nature and yet still be on the same team. Not all farmers are out to rape and pillage -- some are - especially the big corporate outfits which make up the vast majority of land ownership.

Your input is valued here by all -- I notice you stop posting if something negative is posted about farmers.
It is a lot better to quit posting then get myself riled up. I know lot's of farmers all across the state, and I don't know very many who don't value wildlife. However they have to do what they need to so they can stay competitive. We don't farm to make the land we control good for someone we don't know come use it. We have kids to feed and send to college the same as anyone else. There are ways that farmers and sportsmen can work together, but anytime I try and bring some of these things up for discussion it goes down hill and get's personal. Somebody even pulled up what I had received in govt payments and posted it on here. He never pointed out that a lot of that was CRP payments, CSP payments ect which benefits the birds. I could have made more farming the ground that is for sure. Like I have said on here before, I used to let people I don't know hunt if they ask and it wasn't a mob, and if family and I weren't going to hunt where they wanted to. After seeing a lot of the negative attitudes on here towards farmers I don't do that anymore. So I don't post and don't visit this site like I used to. My blood pressure is high enough without letting strangers make it higher. I used to think I could maybe get hunters and non landowners to see both sides of some issues and show ways that farmers and sportsmen can work together, but I found out except for a few on here it's pointless.

It is a lot better to quit posting then get myself riled up. I know lot's of farmers all across the state, and I don't know very many who don't value wildlife. However they have to do what they need to so they can stay competitive. We don't farm to make the land we control good for someone we don't know come use it. We have kids to feed and send to college the same as anyone else. There are ways that farmers and sportsmen can work together, but anytime I try and bring some of these things up for discussion it goes down hill and get's personal. Somebody even pulled up what I had received in govt payments and posted it on here. He never pointed out that a lot of that was CRP payments, CSP payments ect which benefits the birds. I could have made more farming the ground that is for sure. Like I have said on here before, I used to let people I don't know hunt if they ask and it wasn't a mob, and if family and I weren't going to hunt where they wanted to. After seeing a lot of the negative attitudes on here towards farmers I don't do that anymore. So I don't post and don't visit this site like I used to. My blood pressure is high enough without letting strangers make it higher. I used to think I could maybe get hunters and non landowners to see both sides of some issues and show ways that farmers and sportsmen can work together, but I found out except for a few on here it's pointless.
I'm sorry some folks have riled you up.
Based upon my reading, there is no call for that.
People that own the land, in all cases, especially if that's how they support their family, have every right to determine how its used and who gets access - as long as its lawful and does not adversely impact their neighbors.
If hunters don't treat landowners and their land with respect - always - the loser in that discussion will be the hunting population.

Back