Thinking of (trying) To Raise Pheasants, again...

elijah79

Last time we did this something got into the pen we had the birds in and killed them all. To say I was upset would be the understatement of the year!! Dang foxes.
My question is a relatively simple one: Without asking for people to advertise their favorite chick source, where can I find inexpensive pheasant chicks in order to make this second attempt at raising them? Around here they're about $2.99 to $4.99 per chick. Is there anyplace I can look to in hopes of ordering some to raise??

With me it's coyotes and mink that keeps killing them. That's why I got a rifle for the coyotes and my friend does the mink around where I live.I plan on starting back up after we put a big dent in the population.:D I go to the place that is mentioned too for birds.

I will second Macfarlane Pheasant Farm, you can also google his site. Also revisit the thread on "chick survival rate" good tips. Try to build a predator proof pen.

Look at some of James Pfarr's formosa and bianchi pens. It appears to me that a bad predator would have a hard time breaking into those pens.

Last edited:
Dig in your perimeter fence, about two feet deep, if concrete is impractical, also use stiff rod,( like cattle panel), wire about a two feet wide on either side of the fence dug in flat with the ground. Inspect daily for digging, if you see evidence, a leg hold trap in the hole will be effective. coons, possums, attack from above if possible through holes in the upper cage, Weasels can get through holes so small it seems impossible, even rats will kill young birds. All penned game birds are little bits of death looking for a place to happen! Every predatory critter is a diner at the game bird buffet.

As far as a pen, we have one that we'll use. It's going to be nearly solid wood floors on it with a few layers of tightly wound chicken-wire all around. We have that part all figured out. Just need to find the buzzards in order to put them in it!!

Back