The upcoming season

Chocolate Head

All of this quail talk and pheasant counts really has me excited. I am coming from the same place as whitewater, but I'm not able to make it until the week before Christmas. In prior posts, most of you locals have said that later is better. Is that for quail and phez? What about praire chickens? Should I consider something a little earlier? I'll have access to about 500 acres of private land and the rest will be WIHA. I kept my Atlas from last season that has my good plots marked, and whitewater will hopefully share his findings from his trip in November. Of course, any other advice is always welcome. :D

I'm just getting a bit nervous b/c I will only be there for a week.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. You guys have always been helpful.

All of this quail talk and pheasant counts really has me excited. I am coming from the same place as whitewater, but I'm not able to make it until the week before Christmas. In prior posts, most of you locals have said that later is better. Is that for quail and phez? What about praire chickens? Should I consider something a little earlier? I'll have access to about 500 acres of private land and the rest will be WIHA. I kept my Atlas from last season that has my good plots marked, and whitewater will hopefully share his findings from his trip in November. Of course, any other advice is always welcome. :D

I'm just getting a bit nervous b/c I will only be there for a week.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. You guys have always been helpful.

I think chicken hunting is pretty much the same late or early season if you're hunting private land. They tend to be pretty skittish during the late season on public land, but I think weather plays more of a role in a successful chicken hunt than does the time of season. If you don't make it for the opener, wait as long as possible for temperature to drop. Last December was pretty cold. Seldom is November cold anymore. January is almost always cold. The week before Christmas will be good if the weather is right. You never know what the weather is going to do though. The quail and phez may be pushed off of the public land until it gets cold, then they'll return to the best cover. Best of luck to you!

What the last two fellers said is what I have also observed. The hunting pressure usually lets up after Thanksgiving weekend and it is easier to get on private land then too. All of the relatives that have been promised hunts have already come and gone by the time you plan on getting there. And yes, there will still be plenty of birds for you to chase. Good luck!!!

After Thanksgiving most of hunters have hung up there shotguns and for the most part only dedicated bird hunters are in the field. Especially when it gets cold. Last season I did my best during January. Usually the birds settle into a little heavier cover. Good Luck.

I expect a higher than normal hunter/feild this year for the first two weeks of the season, due to opener being on the 14th and thanksgiving just 10 days behind. After that should calm down until the last week of december, president's day weekend in mid jan and the last week/weekend.

Back