The Last Hunt

Full Flight

Last week I had to put my hunting companion Doc down. He was an English Setter and at thirteen his health was going down hill. Doc and I had bird hunted in three states and had some wonderful tales over the years. But, the time had come. I called a local hunting preserve here in the Grand Rapids Michigan area, Fruitridge Pheasant Farm, and set up a one bird hunt. (Doc could only go about fifteen minutes and his back legs would give out). I then called the vet and set up the appointment. To make a long story short, I arrived at the Fruitridge about ten minutes early, and Doc and I waited. We waited for over an hour and I had made several calls to the place with no answer. Finally I got the number to another Hunting preserve about 30 minutes away. I just did not want to put my buddy down with out his last day being a good one. I called Pine Hill Sportsmans club. The owner Scott was so gracious and nice he had me come over, he picked out his best rooster and took me with him to plant it. Doc and I had a wonderful hunt and spent the last quality time together.

On the way to the vet Fruitridge called me. he stated and I quote " it was cold this morning so I assumed you were not coming."

I can safely say I will never use Fruitridge Pheasant Farm again and I will recommend to any hunter I know not to use them. From now on Pine Hill will get my business.

last date

no smart ass remarks here. what a wonderful way to say good-bye. my bogey is still going but kinda barely, did shoot two roosters over him this year and he beat the other two dogs on one of the retrieves, bogey will be 15 in a couple of months, if i pet him hard, he will fall over, other than that he seems pain free and his bladder still works. a long time buddy he is. sorry about your dog but whata way to go. ya done good

cheers

Glad to hear that you were able to find someone to make this important hunt happen for you and Doc. Sorry to hear that he's gone, but know that he had twice the life with you that most other non-hunting dogs have with their owners.
All the best.

All dogs go to heaven and if they don't then I want to go where they are

You and Doc had some great times.
I'm sitting here remembering a few of my old pals.
Sad to lose a best friend. Glad You could share a last hunt.

Thanks for all the well wishes on Doc. Just thought I would attach a pic so everyone could see him. This was an Iowa trip and we had a good day.

You gave Doc a great life. Get another and do the same.

Last edited:
:10sign: Well done. It's tough to lose a friend, but it sounds like you gave him a great life.

Welcome to the site!

I know what it's like to lose a special friend.
Some thoughts.

A Place Called Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to
someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are
meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can
run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and
sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to
health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made
whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our
dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and
content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone
very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all
run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly
stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are
intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run
from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs
carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special
friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion,
never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your
face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look
once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone
from your life but never absent from your heart
Then, you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Back