The Battle of Being Left Handed

The 828us are very good guns with drop out trigger assembly's but a little two modern looking for me. My buddy just bought one. I call it the space gun. I haven't shot it yet. I never even thought about the lever going the wrong way. I can see that could be a problem.
Not a huge deal but I was thinking if I’m going through all this trouble to get a stock swap etc… you’d think it’d have the lever be left hand as well.
As far as I can tell the berettas are just a RH hand gun with a cast-on and/or neutral stock. But the benelli and the browning “true left” they call it are both actually left hand in the stock and the lever.

You won't go wrong with either one! Either will become an heirloom!! Hope for a southpaw grandson!!

The world isn't built for left handers. Its a pain in the arse to write left handed, computer mouses aren't for lefties, and shotguns aren't mass-produced for them either.

The solution is simple: join the majority and be right hand dominant!

Not a huge deal but I was thinking if I’m going through all this trouble to get a stock swap etc… you’d think it’d have the lever be left hand as well.
As far as I can tell the berettas are just a RH hand gun with a cast-on and/or neutral stock. But the benelli and the browning “true left” they call it are both actually left hand in the stock and the lever.
I've been left handed for over 65yrs--LOL--and, I've shot sxs for +/-25yrs. I've absolutely never had a problem "working" the top lever...and, after considering this very issue, wouldn't want to have it any other way.

The solution is simple: join the majority and be right hand dominant!
Oh man. If I thought was mad when I missed before.... I'd be a pretty pissed person if I tried this.

I've been left handed for over 65yrs--LOL--and, I've shot sxs for +/-25yrs. I've absolutely never had a problem "working" the top lever...and, after considering this very issue, wouldn't want to have it any other way.
I know. Like I said, not a big deal more just curious.

The LH 690 that I have has a right hand lever, as does the “neutral cast” 686 SP. And, the CZ Southpaw has a right hand lever too!

The LH 690 that I have has a right hand lever, as does the “neutral cast” 686 SP. And, the CZ Southpaw has a right hand lever too!
Ah so the only thing that makes it left handed is the cast of the stock. Thank you!!

Ah so the only thing that makes it left handed is the cast of the stock. Thank you!!
Yes, I think it's cast on bent to the right for right hand
cast off bent to the left for left handers.
It really only makes a difference as to how hard you have to press your face in. I figured out one reason why I couldn't hit when I was pissed. Pull up your gun look down the barrel and grit your teeth. It will give it an quarter inch of instant cast!!

Yes, I think it's cast on bent to the right for right hand
cast off bent to the left for left handers.
It really only makes a difference as to how hard you have to press your face in. I figured out one reason why I couldn't hit when I was pissed. Pull up your gun look down the barrel and grit your teeth. It will give it an quarter inch of instant cast!!
I think you have that wrong. Standing behind the gun, cast-on would bend the end of the stock to the left, cast-off would bend the end of the stock to the right?

I too feel your pain! I have a Browning Cynergy that has a neutral cast...at least that's what the salesman told me a dozen years ago. I shoot it pretty well. It is a beautiful gun, but it is heavy. Last Fall I decided I needed a backup gun. I knew I wanted a lighter semi-auto and I wanted a wood stock. The Beretta A400 Xplor caught my eye right away. I finally ran across one at a gun shop in Omaha. Unfortunately it is not available with a raised rib. I have always shot a raised rib shotgun, and didn't want to gamble the $1500 that the shims would make this gun work for me. After 6 months of scouring the online shops and auction sites, I realized that what I was looking for might not even exist? I ended up going with a Benelli M2, found one right here at our local Scheels. It is a black gun which I don't find attractive. I decided if I liked it I would have the stock dipped. I've run a couple boxes of light loads through it, and so far it has cycled every one. It is not the lightest recoiling gun I have shot, I knew that from reading reviews, but it is light. I'm dropping it off on Monday to have it dipped. I'm thinking the old Fred Bear camo would give it a unique look?

I looked at a pile of guns today. I'm in your same boat of being a left eyed shooter and being wary of gun fit. Some Brownings have cast off (meant for right handers) and some are neutral. The left hand ones will have a slight cast on (for leftys). The left hand brownings did have a top lever that moves from center to the left to open the action, a true left hand lever. This annoyed me very much! Much easier to push the lever outwards than to pull inwards in my opinion. I did shoulder a citori hunter grade I and the stock seemed very neutral and my eye was right over the rib. I also shouldered a ruger red label 12ga. and my eye sat right over the rib. Unfortunately there were no Berettas in stock at the store. From all the research I've done, all berettas have cast either off/on, so make sure you buy the correct piece of wood with it!

As a fellow lefty, I wish someone would have told me about being fitted for a shotgun sooner. A fitted shotgun is a like a sighted in rifle, don't hunt without it. HOWEVER, you have to the mount the gun the same each time for it to work. I had a custom stock made for my Beretta 686, after going to a fitter and learning I needed a lot of cast. Totally worth it.

Most doubles have a neutral cast and can be shot by lefty’s and backwards people. A lot of the new guns that are marketed as lefthanded come with a palm swell on the left side, but are neutral cast. If you are going to order a gun or stock I would highly recommend a fitting to determine LOP and drop. You can also mount a gun with your eyes closed and then open them and see where your eyes are in relation to the rib to see if it fits. Works even better if you can do it looking into a mirror.

Back