Thanksgiving weekend

Got out in Rooks County Friday after Thanksgiving for a couple of hours (yes, 28 members of my family conducted a civil protest on Thursday by having Thanksgiving dinner). Gorgeous cold morning with some frost on the ground and good moisture. We got two roosters including one of those you know you hit (at least you think you did), he flies a hundred yards and then goes down hard. Mark the spot and he's another 20 yards from where you think he went down. Found some quail. Missed them. Locals all say "there are quail everywhere...roosters are scarce." I would quibble some on quail. I think they are good but not as great as "everywhere". However, I think roosters have been fine. We flushed a bunch of hens Friday which we did not on opening weekend which always makes me feel good for next year. Milo stubble next to cover continues to be the key. Second bird we killed was probably 10:00 a.m. and was FULL of milo. He got up from a grass terrace next to milo stubble. The early rooster we think we flushed from some stubble and then found him in a small CRP patch.

Attachments

• Birds.jpg
    Birds.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 34
Hunted SW Kansas starting Thanksgiving eve and then for the next 5 days...tough sledding to say the least. Second year in a row of killing more quail than roosters. Lowest per person per day average in 15 years. Hunted a mix of Private (80%) and WIHA (20%). Cover is just fair this year. 75% of the pheasants we killed were adults. Those second year and beyond birds are smart and don't tolerate noise or knucklehead behavior. Still an absolute blast with the family. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Back