Texas public land opening weekend

gettinbirdie

I went out on public land ( rolling plains)this past weekend for our Texas opener. Last week, biologist told me the the counts were 1 bird per mile:cry: and blues were not harvestable this year!
Midday Friday, I decided I’m going to run dogs and get the hunting trailer ( cargo/ rv conversion)out as a pre season test run.Saturday morning, we got down to 34 degrees at sunrise. I will say the cover looked as good as I ever seen it in the 25 years of hunting there! Part of me was optimistic to the bird numbers cause we had a great summer and was hoping for some flexibility in the counts, knowing bobs will possibly re-nest with a great summer. I ran my 2 girls for about 2 hours and they put up 4 covies( ranging from 10-20 birds). Stopped for a break, under a shade tree near a windmill- got talking to a son and dad passer by and lost time. It got hot quick on Saturday- by 5 pm, the overhead in the truck said 88 degrees! We drove around prospecting for another hour. The evening was a bust. Got up Sunday to 45 degrees, went to a new area on the wma, the dogs put up 2 covies the first hour. My young dog would point , then creep and bump😬 this morning! We got some polishing up to do! I called it quits at that point- had to break camp and drive several hours to make my Halloween family deadlines. I think we got dang lucky( should have bought a lottery ticket), but I’m still optimistic about our numbers and may go back.

Moved 4 coveys last week one day in what I think is the same place.. small coveys but good action.

Really good to hear Quailnerd. I think we may have a few more birds than the counts claim. Still, Not a good year by any means, but enough to work a dog that needs it.

Back