Tail water pits...

Was out in Kansas 16,17, and 18 of November. Our group walked a number of tail water pits where, in the past, we have found many birds. This year Jan / Nov, 2018, we did not flush a single bird from a tail water pit!

Has anyone noticed the same? do you guys hunt tail water pits?

The majority of birds we saw were in deep thick cover and saw a few in corners...I think a big part was there were still a lot of standing crops!

Hey Nick, Where abouts in the state do you normally hunt? we generally stick to the north west around Sharron Springs and Wallace. I would love to meet up with a local and really get into some birds!

Hey Nick, Where abouts in the state do you normally hunt? we generally stick to the north west around Sharron Springs and Wallace. I would love to meet up with a local and really get into some birds!

Pheasants can hang out in those certain times of day - maybe you just didnt hit them the right time.

Also Sharon and Wallace isn't necessarily a pheasant mecca - may want to drive further into the state or adjust n or south. But if you find a good mulie buck please give me coordinates for next year :)

I am definitely not a local. Lifetime Kansas resident, but I live in the very eastern part of the state south of Kansas City. I used to hunt the Norton area alot but land changed hands and we lost our private ground. I hunt mostly WIHA these days. My son and I are heading out next Friday after work. Still haven't picked a location yet. I'm thinking around Beloit for our home base. Just going to work some WIHA and hope for the best.

Not may true tail-water pits in Texas Panhandle anymore. Big tractors and giant sprinklers have killed the old 1/4 mile rows with trench and pipe water (worst job I ever had). Some pits still there but dry. Generally good for a rooster or two and quail love them.

What is a tail water pit? Not sure I have heard of that term before.

A "tank" in TX-speak, at the low point of an irrigated field meant to trap unabsorbed water where flood irrigation is used. Most are now unneeded due to pivot sprinklers having replaced flooding. They become weedy, brushy, treey, marshy, and often birdy.

Last edited:
Back