Sunflowers

Sunflowers need less moisture but don't stand well during the winter. Check out Uguide's food plots in the snow pictures, how well they still stand. Our research (which is not scientific and sometime done over adult beverages) shows milo, corn and cane to provide the best over all food plots even when moisture is low. Milo will still generally get heads big enough for food plots. The years we used some sunflowers they got knocked down and cover in snow early and where of little value. For what it is worth birds seems to like this order:
Beans, sunflowers, corn, milo, ... but winter cover and shelter from ice or snow showed us
Milo, corn, sunflowers, beans.
If you want a full scale explanation, PM me.

Hunter32, don't you think cane would be #1 as it can have ability to provide shelter under snow,ice,winds and also provide food when it lodges? Corn stands strong but is oftentimes too open when planted with roundup ready and 20-40" rows.

I'm focusing on cane, milo and corn in that order next year.

Uguide you are correct but I hate to hunt cane in the fall because of itâ??s tall. Corn is to open, hawks coyotes can see birds sitting in the rows, Milo generally will fall over right above the leaf and create a type of cave or tunnel depending on the wind and amount of rain. We got into trouble planting milo every year, so we are rotating some corn and cane also. If you plant corn, talk to your seed dealer and get the cheap stuff that falls over, not only will he be willing to get rid of it but it produces the cave/tunnel effect also. This combination has been very good even during heavy ice (Nov 2005) and snow (95,01,02).

Last edited:
Hunter32, I'm still learning and every year it seems I hear something from a hunter where they shot roosters from food areas (like millet & wheat stubble) where I woulnd't have directed anybody to go hunt there.

What are of what state do you plant your plots in?

Back