Sunday succes, vs Saturday success

Logical

For those of you who hunt both days on many weekends, do you find Sunday success to be less than Saturday, both in number of birds found, and number harvested?

I seem to see substantially fewer birds on Sundays than on Saturdays. I try to hunt different fields/corners on Sundays than what I hit on Saturdays, and maybe that is the problem - I hit the better fields on Saturday. But, even if I walk a corner of field on Sunday, if I saw no birds in that corner/field on Saturday, I see few birds. This can be in fields/corners where I normally see birds on Saturday, but maybe hit it at a different time on Saturday. Of course, someone else may have hunted it on Saturday, which could account for why I saw no birds on Saturday, either.

I hunt mostly private access, but I know much of it is trespassed on, as I ask the landowners how many people they have given permission to. Most say they have given no one else permission, so any hunters in there are trespassing. I see that, especially next to walk-ins, where we followed boot tracks in the snow from the walk-in corner, right into the milo and wheat stubble in the adjoining field. Have also seen people cross the road from walk-in to hunt on private land. Would love to see a Game Warden when that happens, but they have a pretty large territory.

Back to my main topic - How do your Sundays compare to Saturdays?

Hey Logical, I never really paid attention to Saturday vs Sunday bird count. I would think that more people hunt on Saturday so that would push the birds into other less hunted areas. Luckily I'm now retired and do most of my bird hunting during the week, it's so much more peaceful and productive.

Hey sig mech. I agree I also am retired and hunt during the week and have no problems what so ever other than finding someone to hunt with.

Unfortunately, I have a few more years before I can hunt during the week. I still have to stick to weekends, and may stop hunting Sundays, if this year is the same as last year.

Enjoy the peacefulness of the week!

I went out to Kansas the week after the opener and experienced the same! We saw a decent amount of birds on Saturday but very few on Sunday. As you said though there are many different factors and one was that we did not hunt the same spots on Sunday as we did Saturday. Another factor was Saturday was COLD and windy...but Sunday was a lot warmer. I think that when dealing with warmer temps that the birds tend to run rather than hold, so when they do flush they are already out of range.

my 2 cents

Upland, I agree that warmer temps make it harder to find the birds. I think part of it is that they stay in the food (corn) fields more of the day, since they don't have to snuggle-up to a clump of grass for warmth. Or, they don't congregate as much when it is warm, so we only see one, where we may see 5 if it were colder. It's always fun, trying to understand the behavior of birds. That's part of what makes pheasant hunting enjoyable!

Logical, I agree completely! It's funny you say that because that is exactly what my buddy and I were saying Sunday morning when it was about 20 degrees warmer than Saturday...The problem was we did not have a dog to hunt with Sunday and there was still a lot of standing crops!

Back