Sunday 12/27 SW of Yuma

sig_mech

Merry Christmas to all. I opened my present on the 27th. Woke up early, loaded up my lab Oakley and all my gear, picked up my buddy Rich and his shorthair Sage and high-tailed it out to Yuma area. I just wish that the Byers General Store opened earlier for coffee and burritos. (Come to think of it, a guy could make some decent cash by putting a roach coach in that parking lot).
It was cold and windy when we got there with 3 to 5 inches of snow in the fields with some serious drifts along the edges. For some reason even the snow was not enough to make the birds hold and the best way to hunt it was to work into the wind at a real slow pace. The smart birds were jumping up just out of gun range but I found that if you hunt long enough you will always find some that wait until the last second to try and escape. Those are the ones that make the trip back to my kitchen in Denver and between Rich and I there were six of them coming home with us today. All in all it was a great day. Anyway, you'll be happy to know that the storm had no adverse affect on the birds and there's still a ton of them out there waiting to be had. I think I know how I'm going to ring in the New Year.
Keep your eyes and ears open and your powder dry. Good luck boys.

Back