Summerville ,shadehill res area

labsrule

Hello all,

Several years ago due to the help from this site my now 16 year old son and our lab have trucked to South Dakota for some great times. We have met the best people and introduced many other friends to the hospitality of South Dakota. Thank you.
We have hunted public land from Mitchell to red field and Aberdeen.
With a little extra time from a school break this year I wanted to get a feel for the Summerville ,shadehill reservoir area. The map atlas shows a ton of ground up that way open to the public. Some friends have hunted the land around the Missouri River and say we don’t need to go that far to Summerville. Not looking for anyone’s spots, tracts or the like. Just a General idea if it’s worth the drive. We are coming from Missouri.
Nest wishes for a great season to you.
Thank you for and information

I have stayed at a cabin at the Shade Hill Reservoir and hunted some of the state owned ground there with a few friends twice. There are some pheasants and sharptail grouse there. If you go a little northwest of there to Lemmon you will find greater #'s of birds. We hunted there one day and had good success.

Last edited:
I know that area well and there is alot of public ground there, but alot of it is pastureland and unless you really know where to go, it might be hard to get in to the right area. But there is some great hunting to be had there--if you want to know some people to talk to or some places to stay in that area, let me know and I could get you their information.

Thank you for the help. I may take you up on the offer. We are still studying the maps and google earth. I agree on the school land .it looks all grazes down on google earth
Thanks again

Back