Suggestions on a lighter gun

If you are considering used guns also, you might like a Winchester Model 59. I’ve got one, it’s an exceptionally lightweight shotgun. I just looked at gunbroker, they’ve got about a dozen currently.

There was also the Remington special field. I owned a 12 and a twenty. Not super light but very quick guns. I did some of my best shooting with the 12. Also, in my measly opinion one if not the coolest looking with the 24 inch barrel and the english stock!

I'm not much of an autoloader shooter anymore. But, I've had a few over the years, 1100, S&W, and a couple Berettas. When I did some smithing for a few years, I worked on a bunch of them. My choice, if I had to have a autoloader, would be a Beretta gas gun. Takes a little more maintenance than a recoil operated gun like the Benelli, but shoots soft for a quick recovery to the second shot. I also moved away from 12ga maybe 15 years ago. I have guns in every gauge, but for most hunts I grab a 20 or 16 ga. The beauty of the 16 is, of course, the availability of light guns built on 20 ga frames, but be aware of ammo availability while on the road...bring what you need. Of course, these days, that goes for any size ammo.

The 20ga is a sweet spot IMO. Smaller/lighter guns, low recoil, noticeably lighter and smaller shells than 12, but hell, you only need 3 right? ;)

Last edited:
While we're talking weight, figure out how many shells you normally tote around, weigh them. Then ask yourself if you're hauling around too many.

Try weighing the same number of shells in a smaller gauge you'd be willing to use. You might be able to save quite a bit of weight there, in addition to the lighter gun for the smaller gauge. I shoot a lot of .410, 28 and 20 these days. I don't feel under gunned on roosters with a 20ga and adequate shot size, even in 2 3/4". 1 oz of #5 lead will whack a rooster hard, even at modest velocities.

I like my Bennelli SBE 12ga but I've now hit 70 and have back issues. It is time for a lighter gun. I want a semi-auto, reliability and availability (both gun and ammo). I'm thinking a Bennelli Ethos 20ga/26" barrel. I'm not a gun guru, any suggestions? (I'm in MN).
I like my Bennelli SBE 12ga but I've now hit 70 and have back issues. It is time for a lighter gun. I want a semi-auto, reliability and availability (both gun and ammo). I'm thinking a Bennelli Ethos 20ga/26" barrel. I'm not a gun guru, any suggestions? (I'm in MN).
Ran into something)g similar a few years ago. Had a nice Beretta semiauto. Elbow injury made the gun too heavy to hold up by days end in the field. About that time Winchester came out with the SX4. Coming in at the upper 6 pound range in 12 gauge it was definitely worthy of looking at. I’ve been shooting it at the trap range and in the field since 2016 at least 1000 rounds with no significant issues. Recently purchase a camo version in 20 gauge. A few ounces lighter but they both shoot the same. while I own numerous other nice shotguns these two have become my go to for trips, long days in the field. Pric3 point in the 650/900 dollar range. Love the oversized shell release, safety, and trigger guard- especially in inclement weather where gloves are needed. Adjustable length with 1/4 spacers. Numerous colors from black synthetic, about 5 camo versions, along with some nice wood versions. Definitely worth a look.

Attachments

• 23CE0CD2-6B3D-44F2-8ADB-22B9A56C6F5B.jpeg
    23CE0CD2-6B3D-44F2-8ADB-22B9A56C6F5B.jpeg
    942 KB · Views: 6
Benelli ultra light. The 12 gauge is only 6lbs.
Yes, one of my hunting buddies has one. Super light. Down side is I can buy (2) winchesters for the price of one.

I highly suggest the Retay Gordion. I carried that gun all over SD and KS last season and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very nice shooting gun.

Honestly no, but I shoot 3.5" duck hunting so I am probably a bit resistant to the smaller loads lol.

I also have the Masai Mara in 20ga but I carry the 12ga Gordion if that tells you anything.

Honestly no, but I shoot 3.5" duck hunting so I am probably a bit resistant to the smaller loads lol.

I also have the Masai Mara in 20ga but I carry the 12ga Gordion if that tells you anything.
I thought about the Masai Mara but went with the Gordon in the end. I do like the way the Masai Mara breaks down for cleaning.

The quick release trigger mechanism, quick unload feature, and the better recoil pad are the main differences. Is it worth the extra $300-400? Maybe, maybe not.. I don't necessarily "miss" them. The Gordion is a very fine, reliable, lightweight gun. I opt taking that over my Benelli or a Franchi all day long.

Back