Suggestions for an area to hunt

duckn66

I have some time off over the holidays so I thought I would plan a trip out west to maybe shoot some pheasants. I haven't done that in over 20 yrs! I hunt waterfowl almost exclusively but I have this young lab that I would like to get into some pheasants with. Any suggestions on an area to hunt? Not looking for any particular hot spot just an area with good WIHA since that is what I will be hunting and a few birds around.

I don't know how far West you're going, but I have made two trips this year. We found a lot of birds between Norton and Oberlin up in the NorthWest, and birds between Dodge City and Kinsley in the SouthWest. Those are the only trips I've made this year. We hunted private land and WIHA on both trips.

The WIHA South of HWY 50 looked better to me than what we checked on the North side of the highway. Also, South of HWY 36 seemed to have more birds than North of 36, although the WIHA looked good everywhere up there. We found at least a few pheasants everywhere. I wish I could go back with snow on the ground, but best of luck to you on your trip.

Also, we shot mostly OLD birds on our trips. LONG, sharp spurs and tails. They were pretty tricky. Some got up at 300 yards, and others got up (literally) between our feet. My uncle hunted with us in Dodge City, and had a bird launch up between his feet and fly behind him. That bird is still sneaking around Dodge City, so watch out.;)

( My uncle hunted with us in Dodge City, and had a bird launch up between his feet and fly behind him. That bird is still sneaking around Dodge City, so watch out.;)

So, that is where my old trick rooster went. :)

Well I am going as far west as I need to go. No limit on mileage. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Heard some good reports in Decatur County,Headed out there next week will keep everyone posted..

Back