Successful SD public hunt completed

It's all a matter of pressure. Regardless of which land they live on, the more pressure they see, the "smarter" they become. It's FINDING them, at the right time, that becomes the biggest challenge. They use pressured habitat more & more sparingly, and at very specific times, as the season rolls on. And generally, public land gets exponentially more pressure than most private land.

I hunted private land 3 times last year (all somewhat pressured birds), & 2 of those times, birds did things they'd never, EVER do on the public areas I hunt. Hunting a cattail draw about 3/8-mile long. Birds begin to flush up ahead, but several flew down the draw a couple/few hundred yards & landed again. Hunting a small cattail slough, birds flushing up ahead & flying who knows where to safety. A half hour later, they began to come back. I'd never see either of those things on the public places I hunt. (maybe, MAYBE during the first week of the season)
One thing I've noticed, is that public land is getting hunted more because of the internet. Even in remote areas, cell service is available now. The internet has helped me find places, so I know it has helped others.

Enjoy all. I will be leaving Next Wednesday for first 5 day block. Going to have a great time no matter what. Been
going for many, many years, as I am mid 60's. I enjoy all parts of the state. I am like a kid at Christmas, waiting on
firetruck. HA!

Enjoy all. I will be leaving Next Wednesday for first 5 day block. Going to have a great time no matter what. Been
going for many, many years, as I am mid 60's. I enjoy all parts of the state. I am like a kid at Christmas, waiting on
firetruck. HA!
I know you will have a great time. I've hunted sd 3 times in the last 30 years, and every time was fun.That area around Gregory is good.

Back