Success

cheesy

First time hunting pheasants in Missouri, 3 of us went to Bilby. 15 minutes after legal shooting time my shorthair was on the trail when a rooster jumped. 1 in the bag. 30 minutes later my shorthair is trailing for 40 yards and fianlly locks up on point, I kick up a hen, then a group of hens flush further out and a lone rooster. Dropped it, thought it was dead but couldn't find it. After about five minutes my shorthair saved the day and picked it up 30 yards past where it should have been, very much alive. Limited out in under an hour. My partners weren't so lucky, they each missed one and no other oppurtunities. Talked to some guys in the parking lot that all had oppurtunities but couldn't connect.

If any of you saw a blue 1 ton dodge with Stainless Steel Limited stickers on the side, that was us. Same truck that got pulled over in KC for doing 75 in a 55 on the way home. Dang helicopter cops anyway.

Good Job, we didnt have quite as good luck. One pointed rooster that was missed and one covey of quail we didnt want to mess with because they flew in the beans. We saw maybe 10 pheasants but where we hunted pony espress area all the crops were in.

zeepo

Nice job Cheesy! Congrats to you and the Shorthair. Sounds like a great time! My Dad always said: " Just drive what you can afford!" Hope you continue sucess this year and good luck!:cheers:

My uncle and myself hunted last night for about the last two hours of the day at Amarugia Highlands in southern Cass County.I took my two shorthairs and he brought two pointers. We hunted some great looking cover and never even got a sniff on any quail, but we did get one woodcock. It was just a nice evening to be out with the dogs. That conservation never does have much in the way of quail.

Oh, and if any of you that hunted Bilby found a brand new, not a day old, CRKT lockback pocket knife in the parking area on the northeast side of the property, I'd gladly pay postage back. :)

I'll have to hunt Bilby again at the end of the year when the crops are out and hopefully the pressure drops a bit as well. Had never been north of KC in Missouri before, like that area compared to where I'm living in southern Missouri.

The problem with Missouri is, I can spend the same amount of time on the road and be in western Kansas where my lifetime license takes effect. Decisions decisions.

I am heading up to Bilby in the morning. I don't imagine much hunting has gone on there since opening day. I will report after the trip. I was going to try Pony Express today but it was just to hot. Hopefuly it will rain a little tomorrow.

I hunted Bilby Monday. It turned off hotter than I was hoping for. We hunted for 5 hours and got up 2 covey of quail, a dozen or so hens and 1 rooster.

Hows the Missouri crew? Anybody have any good bird hunting stories? Going to try this weekend by St. Joe.

Zeepo

I went to Kansas last weekend around Sylvan Grove. I am going to try either Bilby or Pony Express this weekend I will let you know how it goes.

just got back from Norton area, hunted two days, dogs pointed 8 roosters tues, five wed, also found 5 covies of quail worth the trip. the report had a lot of hunters in the area

Went to Bilby Sunday 2 guys 3 shorthairs and 1 brittany. Came home with 1 rooster and 6 quail. Saw two nice sized coveys. They were just starting to harvest the crops as we were packing up to come home. It should be a good late season up there. I dont think it has bee hunted much since the opener. Heading to Kansas Friday after Thanksgiving.

Went to Bilby Sunday 2 guys 3 shorthairs and 1 brittany. Came home with 1 rooster and 6 quail. Saw two nice sized coveys. They were just starting to harvest the crops as we were packing up to come home. It should be a good late season up there. I dont think it has bee hunted much since the opener. Heading to Kansas Friday after Thanksgiving.

Where are you going when you come to KS? We may be interested in hunting w/ you. There will only be 3 people in my group, so it would probably be beneficial to hunt w/ someone. Pm me if you're interested.

Back