Story Time

BritChaser

Tell some stories about events while afield or just while out and about the fields, coverts, and bird ranches.

Here's one:

Banter from a few years back heard on a Friday night rock and roll program on High Plains Public Radio (Garden City KS) hosted by a teenage-sounding DJ and her friend/on-air guest:

DJ: Did you hear “Julie” got busted?
Guest: Yeah, I heard.
DJ: But she won’t get into trouble because her dad’s a big-all lawyer.
Guest: Yeah, I know. My daddy’s a radiator man and I am always in trouble.

I was out hunting at my wife's family's. 2010 a really good year. Was the Last Sunday of the season and my brother in law and I were over at my wife's uncle's pretty much hanging out. Her uncle had put me in the bucket of a tractor so I could hook a chain to a tree next to a garage he was putting up that he wanted down.
I had my dog locked up in the kennel in the back of my pickup. While in the tree my wife's uncles sisters showed up and were milling around and decided the dog didn't need locked up. They let him out and he belined for my wife's uncles last laying chicken.

This year same brother in law who had been with me back then. My sisters husband. Last day of the season and we were out hunting some of my family's and had run by a friend of my dad's to see if it was allright if we hunted on his. Standing at the bottom of the stairs talking to the landowners wife my brother in law reaches over to lean on the railing and hits a light fixture . Knocks it off and it smashes on the ground.

Last edited:
Good stories. Yeah, 2010 was a great year.

In my younger days, before I owned a dog, my buddy & I were driving from one hunting spot to another & a rooster ran across the road in front of us. I had my 12 ga. T/C New Englander muzzle loader w/ me in the front seat. (That’s another novel altogether.) Stopped, got out & quickly put a cap on the nipple, bird got up & flew back across the road. I hammered it at about 20 yards (tops) & once the smoke cleared, it was laying there, dead in the road. Put the gun back in the truck & walked over to pick it up & it sprinted down into the ditch & into a slough w/ a lot of snow in it – so clumps of cattails left bent over here & there. I knew precisely which clump it ran into & the only chance I had was to get down on all 4’s & crawl in there. You know, the work dogs perform way better than humans. So I’m down in there crawling around & in the little light there was, after about 10 minutes I finally see 2 long tail feathers poking out of the snow right in front of my face. Lunged forward & grabbed him. Success!!! I couldn’t believe the bird had any life whatsoever left in him after the pounding he’d taken from my blunderbuss. When cleaning him, he had both legs shattered, both wings shattered & about 10 body hits. He was messed up good. Yet still managed to do a pretty good Carl Lewis impression. It’s partially because of this bird that as a dog guy today, I don’t want my dog “steady to wing & shot”. I want him on that bird ASAP, hitting him like a freight train.

Good story. Yeah, that steady business is questionable for anyone other than a trials dog.

About 30 years ago there were 3 of us hunting a very poor low corn field in Iowa with no dogs. A bird got up way ahead of us (out of range in my mind) crossing shot and 1 of the guys shot and knocked it down. We all started running 3 abreast as that bird did not go in hard. As we are running suddenly the other 2 guys drop out and I continue on and actually find the bird. When I return Jim is laid out on the ground and Rick standing over him, Rick says we gotta get Jim to the hospital he needs stitches. Jim has a nasty cut above his eyebrow. As he was running carrying his gun sideways he hit a corn stock and you know the rest. Well I looked at it and agreed, but Jim stated "Fock that it'll scar up and make Sally horny as hell" (his wife at the time). We continued to hunt.

Last edited:
too funny!:cheers:

Here's one by way of the picture below. This happened at Dunbar Slough WMA near Bayard, IA when Walt, my 1st springer was only about 2 or 3 yrs old. Phenomenal dog. It's a recovery mission I'll never forget. It comes to mind every time I tell myself, "Always trust your dog." And I tell myself that a lot.
View attachment 9226

Last edited:
Here's one by way of the picture below. This happened at Dunbar Slough WMA near Bayard, IA when Walt, my 1st springer was only about 2 or 3 yrs old. Phenomenal dog. It's a recovery mission I'll never forget. It comes to mind every time I tell myself, "Always trust your dog." And I tell myself that a lot.
View attachment 9226

heckuva deal. great dog and hunter work.

Road hunted in college with a few friends, we only shot one bird, but it was as good as dead. Headed back into town (Brookings) with the one rooster in the back of the truck under the tonneau cover. Opened up the tailgate in town, and out flies a rooster as alive as could be.

Road hunted in college with a few friends, we only shot one bird, but it was as good as dead. Headed back into town (Brookings) with the one rooster in the back of the truck under the tonneau cover. Opened up the tailgate in town, and out flies a rooster as alive as could be.
So...did he fly....away??

As another Jackrabbit, my dead bird/muzzle loader story above was also near Bkgs. Barely south of Lake Campbell on the road that used to go by the old roller rink.

So...did he fly....away??

As another Jackrabbit, my dead bird/muzzle loader story above was also near Bkgs. Barely south of Lake Campbell on the road that used to go by the old roller rink.

Yep, just flew away. Flew above the street for about a block then turned and was over some houses and out of sight. It was just like opening up a cage and releasing a bird back to the great outdoors. I didn't shoot the bird, nor ever handle it. But I do remember it being "completely dead" and my friend even ringing it's neck when he picked it up.

Yep, just flew away. Flew above the street for about a block then turned and was over some houses and out of sight. It was just like opening up a cage and releasing a bird back to the great outdoors. I didn't shoot the bird, nor ever handle it. But I do remember it being "completely dead" and my friend even ringing it's neck when he picked it up.

That's really funny. I'll bet you guys about died. I've heard a lot of stories about birds people were sure were dead coming back to life, but never one flying away from home before. If there's one thing I've learned is that Brookings, Lake & Moody Counties grow some very resilient roosters.

A few years ago I was hunting in SD with some buddies. Me and my dad had just finished hunting a small slough and the other 3 guys we were with had just finished walking a corn strip. The wind was howling 30 mph. The 3 guys at the end of the corn strip were standing around talking and a big ole rooster got up right between them all. All 3 guys emptied their guns and never pulled a feather. The rooster was crossing at about 50 yards at an extreme high rate of speed. I looked over at my dad and he said take a crack at it. I pulled up and led that bird a good thirty feet, pulled the trigger and it folded hard. It continued to sail at a high rate of speed right into the rear view mirror of my truck, and broke my drivers side mirror into a thousand pieces. Everyone was laughing their asses off. I’ll never forget the look on my dad’s face. That wound up being our last time hunting together he died the following spring.

A few years ago I was hunting in SD with some buddies. Me and my dad had just finished hunting a small slough and the other 3 guys we were with had just finished walking a corn strip. The wind was howling 30 mph. The 3 guys at the end of the corn strip were standing around talking and a big ole rooster got up right between them all. All 3 guys emptied their guns and never pulled a feather. The rooster was crossing at about 50 yards at an extreme high rate of speed. I looked over at my dad and he said take a crack at it. I pulled up and led that bird a good thirty feet, pulled the trigger and it folded hard. It continued to sail at a high rate of speed right into the rear view mirror of my truck, and broke my drivers side mirror into a thousand pieces. Everyone was laughing their asses off. I’ll never forget the look on my dad’s face. That wound up being our last time hunting together he died the following spring.

Awesome! I'll bet, for several different reasons, that's one of the most vivid memories you have, period. And it'll stick with you until the end. So great.

Road hunting in Iowa with my dad and younger brother (we were about 7and 8 then). Well my dad shoots 2 roosters that land about 50 yards out in a cornfield so my brother and I run out and each grab one. Upon our return, he just plops the bird down on the road which must have been enough to revive it, it runs under the truck and flies out the other side. We just looked at each other in stunned silence. Needless to say my brother was in trouble for that. Dave

I got 1 more another Iowa story. A little background, although our hunting party was between 4 - 8 guys I rarely hunted with G. He hunts at 2 mph and I'm at 5mph on a slow day. He hunts with labs I've got springers, his wife trains his dogs (meaning he has no idea on how they will respond), I train mine (and I have some idea as to what to expect). Well this particular year he brought a dog that had never hunted, 3/4 irish setter 1/4 greyhound, that dog enjoyed a good run. Whether we were in an 80 acre field or a 2 mile section we always knew where G was "Rusty get back here" was a way more common sound than cackling roosters. Well 1 day G and I teamed up, Rusty got birdy as hell in front of us and took off in a straight line dead ahead of us, about 100 yds out he turned back and was heading back to us. As he got closer G took off his hat to discipline the dog (Rusty at this point was about 20 yds out) and said "God dang it Rusty get your ass back here" The next sequence happened a microsecond after G yelled and only took 1.78 seconds to complete. A rooster flushed at Rusty's nose, G dropped his hat, raised his gun, killed the bird and said "good boy"

Back